Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Benchrest rifle shooting
By MikeSuhie
I hope that the new year is finding you all well, and ready for a new season of shooting. I have just gotten approval for the match schedule this year, and hope you all can make them. I would like to offer some informal group matches in between the score matches, but a registered group match is, at this point, just too difficult to set-up. You can post here or email me with any questions. see the bellcity.org website for email info.

Dates are as follows: all have start times of 10am and will contest iBS registered score matches in VFS, VH, H, and unregistered factory and semi-custom classes.
For definitions of factory/semi-custom please refer to the www.bellcity.org site
April 24th 100yd
May 22nd 200yds
June 19th 100yds
July 24th 200yds
August 14th 100yds
Sept 5th 200yds
October 9th 100yds - Bell City Bash and Bar-B-Que/awards ceremony

We are working hard to make the matches at Bell City as fun as possible and so we are setting up a Bell City Benchrest Score Shooter of the Year award that will go to the VFS shooter with the highest cumulative points for three-100yd and two-200yd events held at our club (100 and 200yd scores will be combined). There are seven matches available, and the five best scores (three at 100yds and two at 200yds) will be tallied for the shooter of the year award.
As of now I am considering this award for VFS shooters only, HOWEVER, if there is enough interest in other categories I would be happy to open the option. It is simply a matter of finances at this point, and VFS brings the most/consistent returning shooters. If there is enough left in the cash box at the end of the season I would be happy to recognize the other classes with some type of award. The other classes would have to adhere to the same cost and match/score requirements.
There will be a one time $20 buy in to be elegible for the shooter of the year awards at the end of the year. The last shoot of the year will entail an awards presentation and barbeque all paid for with the procedes from the previous matches (separate from the shooter of the year funds).
1st - 3rd places for the shooter of the year will receive a cash award and a plaque. 1st place will receive 50% of the pot and a traveling trophy with their name, date, and score engraved on a plate, 2nd place will receive 30% and an engraved plaque/trophy, and 3rd place will receive 20% and an egraved plaque/trophy.
We are also going to be taking orders for t-shirts (designs to be displayed at the matches) if there is enough interest in such items. I would also consider the option of giving out t-shirts as awards in lieu of cash or plaques.
As usual breakfast and lunch will be offered at the matches for a minimal fee. We look forward to a great year of shooting, fun, and friends. See you at the range!
Mike Suhie
Match Director
Bell City Rifle Club
Southington, CT
By hayes1966
Mike,

What is the course of fire? How long do the matches normally run?
By JohnFH
Not missing them this year, and finally have a membership with a rifle range, look out bug holes.
By MikeSuhie
Looking forward to all comers this year. I am really hoping to have good solid attendance throughout the year, and have a solid crew to keep things running smoothly.

Course of fire is the same for each yardage. Each tournament is contested at a single yardage per day.
A tournament consists of five ten minute record "matches" (targets). There is a warmup match prior to the record matches.
Each match target has a sighter bull on the lower right. This can be used as many times as the shooter wishes during the ten minute match. There are five record bulls per target each getting one shot. The bullseye is 1/2" at 100yds and 1" at 200yds outside edge to outside edge. The center "X" is a dot that measures .06" at 100yds and .1 or so at 200yds.

The scoring is done by using best edge format, and therefore the larger calibers have an edge. The 30br rules the roost currently (6br necked up to .30 cal) utilizing slow twist (1:17-1:19) barrels and light 112-125gr bullets, but there are plenty of 6mm shooters who will give you a run for your money.

Typical match length with awards ceremony is 5-6hrs when we have 3 relays running. I suspect that we may have a better turnout this year as word is spreading and the matches are posted several months ahead of time. If we get into 4 relays we may have to switch to 7 minute matches in the interest of time.

For those who have not shot these types of matches before the main reason for the "paint drying" pace is that some competitors reload between relays, and there is a mandatory 1/2hr break (at the discretion of the match director) to allow them to do so. Many of the guys who shoot in these matches travel a great distance to do so and there is no rush when it comes to extreme accuracy.

There is more information on bellcity.org, but if you can't find what you are looking for I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Mike
By MikeSuhie
Just wanted to give an update on the matches at Bell City. As per the IBS's recent ruling we will, voluntarily, be contesting the AR class of rifles. I have not ordered plaques for this class due to the cost involved, and this being a trial run for IBS. The AR class at Bell City is strictly voluntary and at the match director's discretion to continue offfer. If there is significant interest I will be glad to put in an order to get more plaques or whatever people feel is appropriate to recognize their accomplishments.
To see official requirements/restrictions for that class please go to
www.internationalbenchrest.com

The targets and plaques have been ordered for the VFS, VH, H, factory and semi-custom classes, and I am getting more an more excited for the start of the season. Hope to see you all there.
Stay safe,
Mike Suhie
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!