Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By PRussell3
Im just about to start reloading and have no idea what prices of brass, bullets, primers or powder are good or bad on anything.

personally will be reloading .40 s&w and 9mm to start.

New Brass or Fired brass?

Can we start a list of what is fair pricing so I can get into this and try to keep my pants.

I already am realizing tools of trade are a cost of there own.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Paul
By CTSixshot
Search is your best hope.
Use sites such as Grafs, MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Powder Valley, Gamaliel, NET&SS, etc., to get an idea of retail prices. There are sites for once-fired/used brass, too. Armlist and forums like this can be helpful for items, too.
http://hi-techammo.com/collections/full ... ol-bullets
Assuming you are already shooting the 9 and 40, just start with your brass, unless you've only been shooting Blazer Aluminum.
Used brass is best, being cheaper. Reloading is about consistency, so brass that is consistent is the ideal, but don't worry about mixed headstamps. You'll learn as you go how to deal with variances and what items to cull.
I can coach you with what I know and you may have a better feel for what you need before you develop too much anxiety or spend on things that aren't essential. I'm east of Foxwoods and and am here most days.
Nine and Forty, I reload, but don't shoot. I have 9x19mm brass on hand with some powders and primers, but zero bullets. Bring bullets and we can get started.
Speer GDHPs available at NET&SS now:
http://www.nereloading.com/index.php/pr ... count.html
but, you don't have to use these bullets, of course.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SR9
PRussell3 wrote:Im just about to start reloading and have no idea what prices of brass, bullets, primers or powder are good or bad on anything.

personally will be reloading .40 s&w and 9mm to start.

New Brass or Fired brass?

Can we start a list of what is fair pricing so I can get into this and try to keep my pants.

I already am realizing tools of trade are a cost of there own.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Paul
I agree with CTSixshot, search and browse a lot of places to get a handle on prices. I have a Dillon RL550B press I bought NIB from a forum member. I like it and it has worked well for me. A turret press is not necessary if you are on a budget. My brother uses a RCBS single stage press with a LEE hand primer. He has loaded literally thousands of 44magnum with his budget set up. Lots of choices out there.

I try to buy powder and primers local if I can to avoid the haz mat charge, around $28. I was at Hoffmanns a couple of weeks ago and they had plenty of primers and rifle powder but no pistol powders. Call around to the local shops before you buy on line and you could save some. I am stocked up on powders for now. If I remember the last powder I bought was running around $25-28/pound.

I shoot hardcast for my practice/range ammo. Just ordered some coated bullets from Montana bullet works. They look great. I have also bought from SNS casting and Friendswood. Thought I hear some customers had trouble with Friendswood. So far both have worked very well.

I am sure others with more experience than I will chime in.
By PRussell3
Thanks guys. I will take the next week or so to start getting anaked idea of prices out there. I plan to pick up a progressive setup but use as single stage as I learn. I have found a Dillon 1050 with 45 acp. Tumbler and other items come along with it for 1000. Was looking into the 650 if I found one athat good price. Knowing g I want to eventually add a feeder. Again just repeating what I have read out there and knowing I will want to make several thousand rounds. I am planning to shoot several hundred rounds a month once I learn to reload. Would love to see how it "REALLY" works in the next few weeks if anyone is willing. Thanks again for the willing guess to share your knowledge and time.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!