Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By moe77
Have you tried any of these? Any reviews?
By CTSixshot
No. It looks like this is the next level for cast bullets though. I do limited casting, but haven't gotten into the coating process as yet. Check the information on some of these sites (can't justify the time and labor when you can buy them ready to go):
http://www.falconbullets.com/category_s/1859.htm
http://ibejiheads.com/index.php?osCsid= ... c81cb3cd62
http://www.powdercoatbullets.com/custom-design.html
Place an order and I'll assist you to reload them, if you don't reload yourself. You can swap some of the bullets towards payment, if it's a caliber I have use for.
By cwlongshot
I have used these in three different calibers and a couple eights. So far I like them.

www.lucky13bullets.com

CW
By CTSixshot
I've ordered a few times from Quality Cast Bullets in Roswell, NM.
Norm's prices have put my casting into retirement mode.

6.5mm
By SR9
CTSixshot wrote:http://www.egglestonmunitions.com/bullets.html
CT, their web site recommends .357 dia v .356. That is a difference of 0.001, not much really. Have you loaded either size? See any problems with the .357?
By CTSixshot
I've never used the Eggleston product, but Norms bullets are generally .309" or .310" for 30 caliber. I've shoot them out of the K31 Swiss and FR-7 without issue. I wouldn't hesitate running a .357" where a .356" is usually called for. I suspect you could special order bullets to a specific diameter from Norman, too.
His 8mm run .323" and his 6.5mm run .266"
Conversely, I've shot .355" FMJ out of my .357 revolver and they also work just fine. Plenty of rifling on the recovered bullets and they have never shown any tendency to keyhole.
It's not a big deal to run the .310" bullets through my Lee .309" sizer, if I really want to be precise. Of course, if you don't have any reloading gear, that may be an expense you would want to avoid.
PM me with your e-mail and I'll attach Norms price list to you.
By CTSixshot
Can't say. Cast bullets generally are sized a thousandth over the nominal jacketed bullet diameters. Unless you slug your barrel, you really don't know what the optimum bullet diameter should be.
Take the Mosin Nagant rifles for example. Bore diameters could be anywhere from .308" to .314". Many ammo manufacturers use .308" bullets in 54R loads, many use .310" diameter bullets. I don't imagine most Mosin rifle shooters have a clue, but merely shoot whatever cheap surplus ammo they can find and really don't know what diameter bullets they are sending down the pipe.
With modern firearms, you can probably assume they are within spec and if it's a 9x19mm, you can feed it any factory 9x19mm ammo.
I wouldn't hesitate sampling a box and see how they work. If you're still opposed to sending a .357" bullet down the tube, run the bullets through the .356" sizer die and sleep nights.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343992 ... 6-diameter
I don't have one for .355" or .356", so I can't offer you any help (only a .357" and .358" sizer).
By SR9
My order from Eggleston arrived thas week and I finally took a look at them today. They look ok, but the coating appears quite thin and scratches easy. My finger nail was enough to make a scratch to the lead. Not sure if this really means anything. The bullets I received from Missouri bullet seem like they have a sturdier coating and would not scratch with a finger nail. It will be interesting to see how they compare during loading.
By Mike-Sid
I need to read up on this coating. What is the benefit? Does it make a mess in the bore? or easy to clean? I might need some :lol:
By CTSixshot
I think the benefit is more in the bullet-making portion. It eliminates the need for the lubing with conventional bullet lubes. Direct contact with lead is minimized in the reloading portion, too. Coating and baking is a bit less complex than the lubing process and it ends up being a bit cleaner on the shooting end.
I can't get much more scientific than that.
Seeing that I can buy the finished product (6.5mm and .30 caliber rifle bullets) for about 12 cents, I don't even see the reason to cast myself.
By SR9
Mike-Sid wrote:I need to read up on this coating. What is the benefit? Does it make a mess in the bore? or easy to clean? I might need some :lol:
I like the idea of keeping the lead off my hands without the use of gloves. If it helps in other areas so much the better.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!