Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By BigKahuna
My wife is in the process of obtaining her CT permit, and starting to consider carry handguns.

She's tried shooting various pistols and revolvers, but most of them are too heavy or the grip is too large for her comfort. Obviously, she has small hands.

Anyone have any experience and/or advice on a suitable 9mm? I've been researching the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm, as it comes with two backstraps and two magazines, etc.

Any help is appreciated!
By Hddreamer
S&W shield is a nice choice also the kimber shield is nice also , a bit pricey and you need certain ammo for it she should try the shield
By mr380acp
I would go to Hoffman's and try the ten shots for $10.....I am sure they have all those guns you are considering
By SR9
Hddreamer wrote:S&W shield is a nice choice also the kimber shield is nice also , a bit pricey and you need certain ammo for it she should try the shield
A friend of mine has a Shield and it is a great handgun, I shot it one afternoon at WLOPA. I am thinking about getting one for myself.

Currently, I carry an LC9. It is light and easily carried IWB. The down side is the long DA trigger. I also, saw that Ruger now has an LC9S, which is striker fired and supposed to have a decent trigger.

I want to try the LC9s and Shield side by side before I decide.

Try the Shield and LC9/s maybe she will like one of them.
By SR9
mr380acp wrote:I would go to Hoffman's and try the ten shots for $10.....I am sure they have all those guns you are considering
Great way to try before you buy.
By myglimk2
I may have a DB9 with 5 spare mags up for sale by the weekend. :whistle:
By magneton44
Bersa Thunder
By BigKahuna
Thanks for the advice and opinions, everyone. All input is appreciated!
By EllwoodBlues
Went thru the same drill with my wife. Went to Hoffmans & did the 10 for $10. She shot the compacts offered by S&W, Glock, Ruger & Springfield. The ones that had the best grip for her hands were the Ruger SR9c & S&W Shield. Ended up buying both. Both eat what ever you feed 'em & go Bang when you squeeze the trigger. She will carry the Shield in warmer months as it's very slim. In the winter it's the Ruger. She's comfortable & trusts them both. 1st choice would be the Shield but check out the Ruger.

That's my 2 cents worth, Good Luck!!
By SR9
EllwoodBlues wrote:Went thru the same drill with my wife. Went to Hoffmans & did the 10 for $10. She shot the compacts offered by S&W, Glock, Ruger & Springfield. The ones that had the best grip for her hands were the Ruger SR9c & S&W Shield. Ended up buying both. Both eat what ever you feed 'em & go Bang when you squeeze the trigger. She will carry the Shield in warmer months as it's very slim. In the winter it's the Ruger. She's comfortable & trusts them both. 1st choice would be the Shield but check out the Ruger.

That's my 2 cents worth, Good Luck!!
Can't go wrong with either of those.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!