Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By 19-3ben
This Saturday is the gun buyback in hartford. Is there anything illegal about parking nearby and offering to buy guns from the people about to turn them in?
I'm not going to be offering anyone who looks seedy. Don't want to risk receiving stolen property. But if I see the proverbial little old lady who is about to turn in the Colt revolver her husband kept in the night stand until he died, and i offer her more than the $100 gift card being offered, I could save a gun from the scrap heap, put more money in her hand, and get a great deal all in one.
Obviously I would be filling out all the paperwork and calling in for authorization with DPS.

Any legal issues I should be aware of?
By Sebring_Pop
Wow I have seen people sitting outside Newington Gun Exchange doing just that, the owners did not like it but could do nothing about it.
That's a ballsy move (I don't have the balls to try it) but I wish you the best. Have plenty of paperwork with you and you cell phone fully charged to call the State Police.
Keep us posted.
By magneton44
Make sure that little old lady, doesn't accidentally shoot you with that Colt revolver. :D
By 19-3ben
If I only buy long guns, I don't need to dil lout the DPS form 3 and send them to DPS, sellers PD, etc... do I?
By mr380acp
I wonder how many people bringing in firearms have followed all the laws when they obtained them...
By AGust82
I've considered doing this myself. My guess would be every gun being turned in is headed there for a reason though. Either just plain illegally possessed, or quasi-legal and a paperwork headache. IE...the little old lady with her husband's unregistered pistol he bought through the mail in the 50s. How do you legally transfer a gun DPS has no record of, from a person with no permits or proof of ownership of any kind? And good luck convincing this lady the method you're suggesting is legal. In the "old days" when long guns could be transferred without telling Malloy this may have worked better.
By 19-3ben
IE...the little old lady with her husband's unregistered pistol he bought through the mail in the 50s.
That's most of what I saw. Almost all handguns. Lots of elderly people. Looked like lots of older veterans (many were wearing those blue caps that say "____ war veteran" or have the name of a ship they served on etc...

I'm going to guess many war bring backs were crushed up.

Cops were quite gracious and kind with me. It was a great experience, and I would love to see some of you guys there at the next one with me!
By myglimk2
So were you able to get anything?
By 19-3ben
No. But not due to any fault of the buyback. DPS had a screw up on their end when i called it in, and I wasn't able to. But had DPS been running correctly, I would have had a really nice Ithaca model 37 20g a lightweight in my safe right now! (all for $50.)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!