Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
I look at pistol laws in Connecticut from time to time to make sure I understand the ever changing laws since having a pistol permit in CT for over 50 years. I came across one that surprised me as follows:

Handguns in Motor Vehicle

Carrying Handguns in Motor Vehicles. By law, when handguns are being transported in a motor vehicle, they must be unloaded and kept in a place (1) not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment or (2) locked container other than the glove compartment or console. A violation carries a penalty of one to five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $1,000, or both, with a mandatory minimum one-year sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances. Any handgun found in the violator's possession must be forfeited (CGS §§ 29-35 and 29-37).

Thinking it was OK to carry a loaded handgun in a car while driving in CT with a CT permit (Which I normally never do), I called the CT State Police to ask about this. The woman I spoke with clearly stated the rule I posted above is true even with a permit to carry in CT. Many of my shooting friends say the above restrictions only apply if you do not have a permit. If it is against the law to carry a loaded unlocked handgun in a motor vehicle, it certainly makes it impossible for anyone to carry for personal protection while driving. Can anyone on this forum verify what the law really is? Risking a mandatory year in jail for not properly locking an unloaded pistol in a motor vehicle would be a bummer.
By myglimk2
I believe that only applies to transporting from home to range, gunsmith, etc.
I always carry a loaded firearm on my person. It's on me and not being "transported".
Rule of thumb, never ask a LEO what the law is. Consult with an attorney.
Thanks for your interest and response. I know many people would agree with your comment. Is there a way to post my question to anyone on this forum who is an attorney, for a "Legal answer"? My simple question is "Can a person with a CT carry permit carry a loaded handgun on his person while traveling in a motor vehicle in Connecticut?. I used to believe this was OK, but I am not sure anymore. Certainly someone in the state of CT has the correct answer. I just don't want anyone with a valid permit getting into serious trouble if stopped for a routine traffic situation, and is carrying a handgun.
By myglimk2
I can understand your concern. I've been stopped and searched with my firearm on me but, the state troopers didn't seem to care.
Contact Lenny or Scott with CCDL, although they're not attorneys, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Or check there website at: CCDL.us
Oh, and sign up if you're not a member yet. It's free to join and they'll keep you informed.
By chas1935
I have read many CT handgun information web sites and still come up with the same answer. That is, a person with a carry permit in CT cannot carry a handgun in a motor vehicle without it being unloaded, and locked away from immediate access by the occupants. I realize many licensed people still carry a loaded handgun (with a carry permit) while traveling in a motor vehicle. It makes no sense that a person can be trusted to carry outside a car, but becomes a potential criminal by carrying it in the same way in a car. If this law (no carry of loaded handgun in a car really exists, the law should be changed for the reason of common sense. Only pro-gun politicians would be able make this possible. A mandatory one year in jail, along with a fine, will certainly destroy anyone for life.
By chas1935
I was just given a different view of the carry law in a motor vehicle. I spoke with two CT gun dealers (Hoffman & Cabella) about the need to unload and lock any handgun carried in a motor vehicle. They both said it is legal to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle with a carry permit " as long as you carry it on your person". If it is not on your person, it must be locked in some sort of lock box away from the passenger compartment. This makes more sense, especially for those who carry for protection. I am surprised the state police person I spoke with did not mention this detail. While I don't normally carry for protection, I do carry my target handguns in a car on the way to a range. I will have to make sure my gun box is locked in the trunk of the car, because I can't find the key to my gun box at the moment.
Thanks to all for your time and interest my question.
By chas1935
Does anyone agree or disagree with what the two gun dealers told me about it being legal to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle in CT with a permit as long as it is on your person? I have not seen anything in writing about this, but I am beginning to think what the two gun dealers told me is probably correct.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
By myglimk2
As mentioned previously. Consult with an attorney about law interpretation. What LEO's and guys at the gun shop said should be taken as a grain of salt.
By AGust82
Absolutely legal to carry on your person in a car with a permit. Also legal to remove the loaded gun and place it in a console/storage compartment for comfort and safety while driving so long as it's not accessible to children or persons prohibited from possessing a gun. (by yourself in car)

I agree, don't ask cops or gun salesmen what's legal. Neither is looking at it from your point of view. Or care about you.
By chas1935
Again, I want to thank those who responded to my question.

I would think there would be many arrests for improper carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle because of the number of people who do carry for protection while driving and do not have their gun unloaded and locked away as part of the law states. I just wish Connecticut would make it clear in writing what the law really is, and not leave it up to the local police officer.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!