Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By myglimk2
Hi guys!

I'm looking into getting my CDL-B license. Curious to see what schools you guys used? Recommended or ones to stay away from.
So far I have been quoted $2100.00 for a 2 1/2 to 3 week course.

Thanks!
By mr380acp
Work paid for mine......That sounds like a good price though.....I think if you went to NETTS it would be more than your quote....
By denick
A good friend was a DMV truck inspector / cdl license tester. I'll see him tomorrow night. I'll ask him he's work with them all.

Nick
By myglimk2
Awesome, thanks guys!
By CTSixshot
Hmmm... I know there's one in Waterford (behind Hendels) and I see one by the old Remington facility in Bpt.
Years back I did mine at C1 in Indianapolis, but this was essentially free with a commitment to work for the company for 6 months or so. There are probably company-sponsored plans available today, but that's not what you seek, I suppose.
It seems as though you could find someone with the equpment to help you out, but I don't know if that works with DMV.
By myglimk2
I think it has to be a DMV certified type of training.
I have a friend who drives buses. He told me if I got my CDL license he would be able to get me a job with his place.
Don't think that place offers paid training. I know he got his license first.
By AGust82
You'll need a passenger endorsement as well to drive buses. Similar to a pistol permit in ways, apply, wait, go back to DMV... You have to pass some level of background check first to get it.
I got my B license through AAA commercial driver training down near you in Shelton. It's on 110 just north of Sikorsky. I was pretty happy with it. Twice a week for like 3 weeks if I remember right. You scheduled your next session at the end of every session. Very flexible. I think it was ~$1400. This was in 2001 though. Prices are different now I'm sure.
By myglimk2
I know what school you're talking about. I don't think they are there anymore. I'll have to check again to be sure.
Allstate is the name of the school that contacted me back. I believe they are out of Seymour.
They explained all the crap I'd have to go through with the DMV. Seems like it's going to be more of a pain in the ass than a pistol permit! lol

You're correct, it's going to be a class B with passenger endorsement.
By AGust82
It's all coming back. It was Allstate and that is where they used to be. They moved fairly recently I heard.
You go to DMV and computer test for a learner's permit, then enroll in school. A DMV instructor will come to the school every few Saturdays and do mass amounts of road tests. I was LAST of probably 25 guys. Waited around all day...before smartphones. Assuming you pass, then return to DMV to get license. It was definitely as hoop-jumpy as a pistol permit.
The P endorsement is not exclusive to having a CDL. Get that going immediately so you can have it maybe by the time you finish school. That process was actually exactly like getting a permit to carry. Go to DMV in person and ask for application packet, fill out/get notorized/fingerprinted and return to DMV. After a short time you will get a letter stating you are cleared to get the endorsement. Take the letter to DMV once more to print new license.
No, I wasn't type-stuttering, the process in all will include probably 6-7 DMV trips.
Another plus of the P endorsement is that you can drive limos. A really nice fall back option if you ever get laid off or need part time income. The process is just enough of a pain that a lot of people don't follow through. Therefor limo companies are always in need of qualified drivers.
I've got no idea of your age but just in case, industry standard is that luxury transportation insurance doesn't cover drivers under 25. Buses are different but limo/party bus companies can not hire under 25.
By myglimk2
Agust, Thanks for the great info, I appreciate it!
The instructor was telling me it would take about 6-12 weeks just for all the BS through DMV.
Working on getting some funds together so I can just pay for the course all in one shot. I'm 30 so I shouldn't have to worry about the age thing for the Limo's. Didn't know that and definitely a great fall back option!

Thanks again!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!