Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By myglimk2
JohnB wrote:jets are pretty easy to change..worth knowing whats in there, normally 2 jets..low speed and high speed..should be a screw for idle adjustment too..id put it back to stock and go from there..is that the original exhaust ?
Stock is all I need, for now anyways. Those are not the original pipes on there. He said they were "drag" pipes. I'm still new to bikes and haven't a clue what exhaust is what.
By JohnB
so they did a "stage one" which would be air cleaner, pipes and jets, any baffles in the pipes ?
By JohnB
if you can get it to idle using the idle screw..id check for intake leaks using the ol propane trick..may be as simple as an intake leak if they have been messing with the carb
By myglimk2
JohnB wrote:so they did a "stage one" which would be air cleaner, pipes and jets, any baffles in the pipes ?
I haven't seen the bike in person yet. So I'll know more once I get up there and start prepping it for it's ride home.
JohnB wrote:if you can get it to idle using the idle screw..id check for intake leaks using the ol propane trick..may be as simple as an intake leak if they have been messing with the carb
Very well could be. Sure would be an easy fix if that's all it was! :lol:
By JohnB
looking forward to seeing your progress :)
By myglimk2
Thanks, John!
I'll start a build thread once I get the bike down here.
By JohnB
i was thinking too..if they just threw n those drag pipes without putting new gaskets in..that can cause it to die, id replace all intake/outtake seals and gaskets first..its not going to upset anything, how old is the bike btw ?
By myglimk2
It's a 96
By hayes1966
myglimk2 wrote:He said they had the carb. My friend who has the bike isn't to mechanically inclined. He told me his brother had the carb off to get the work done.
I said the same thing when he said points. I asked if he meant jets? So when I finally get the bike down here I'll have to see exactly what it's doing and plucking away at the obvious stuff first. A repair manual for the bike is first on my list.
Sounds like someone let James near the tools !!
By myglimk2
I'll ask to see if they're remotely related to James. :lol:
By JohnB
a 96...from what im reading the earlier bikes have 2 carbs...they need to be synched with a manometer, theres plans online on how to make one
By myglimk2
Thanks for the heads up, John!
By Mike-Sid
Ok Back to business.... The Mt. Graylock ride will be on Saturday 5/17 and we will meet up off rt 8 around Bristol in the AM.. The exact location and time will be made final soon I'm thinking 8 or 9am.
If you plan to go.....let's her it 8) 8)
By myglimk2
Sorry for the thread jack, Mike! :lol: :P
By Mike-Sid
myglimk2 wrote:Sorry for the thread jack, Mike! :lol: :P
No problem Please start another thread...how about a "pre build" thread so we can continue the talk!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!