Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General car chit-chat for the auto guys
By J
So I was prepping one of my motorcycles for whenever this Spring time decides to comes around. I had my battery charged and even checked the voltage (good to go at 13.5). As soon as I connect the battery to the bike it drops down to right around 8. Is the battery bad or something else draining the battery? My bike wont start, just clicking noises and eventually the battery is fully drained. Any troubleshooting tips would help. Thanks.
By Hddreamer
Dose the bike turn over at all?
Is the bike in cold storage ?
How old is the battery ?
By J
The bike tries to turn over, that's what the clicking noise is. This was happening acouple of weeks ago and then it finally started. The exhaust popped real loud but, I'm pretty sure that was the unused fuel in the engine from when I was twisting the throttle when I was trying to start it. I think my engine might be getting stuck because before the umpteenth time trying to start it, I shook and rolled the bike forward and back. And now its not starting again with the same symptoms.

The bike has been in my garage with my other 2 bikes, and the other 2 have no problem starting. I have a space heater in my garage and I started the bikes every two weeks or so during the winter. I may have missed acouple of weeks.

I think the battery is about 2 years old. I changed it out myself but I cant remember when. Maybe older.
By Hddreamer
Clicking dosent mean its turning over ,but you say it's popping like a backfire of some kind , so from that I would say its turning over , with that in mind you say the battery dies quickly .
If the battery is fully charged and dies quickly it could be a dead cell or weak cellin the battery the other thing it could be is even with a space heater the jugs on the bike may be too cold if there too cold it could make the bore smaller by a couple of thousands witch could be enough to makes that'd for the piston to slide smoothly up and Down the cylinder there for killing your battery fast .
If you actually hear clicking it couldbe that the jack shaft is not engaging to the clutch basket ,you may have a bent stud that holds the jack shaft together
By CTSixshot
Get a battery of known integrity and try starting it. Even your car battery will suffice, if you can make a good connection.
The battery is likely the weakest link, so verify its condition before making more problems.
Not knowing what bike you have, I can't help much. I'm assuming your starter runs against a one-way clutch-type gear, not an automotive type of solenoid. If so, I don't really understand whats clicking unless it's the starter making and breaking contact due to low voltage.
My old Honda CX500 had a permanent magnet in the alternator, so a good hill was all that I needed.
Good luck.
By myglimk2
Sounds like a weak battery. The clicking sounds like the starter trying to engage but it can't due to the voltage dropping. Is it turning over at first and then you start to get the clicking?
Your bike may also be fuel injected. By twisting the throttle you're actually doing more harm than good by flooding causing the backfire out of the exhaust.

I would get the battery tested. Like CTsixshot mentioned, jump from the battery in your car. Ground to the frame or engine on both the car and bike (if possible).
By mr380acp
Battery needs to be replaced....The voltage shouldn't drop below 10.5 volts under load....
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!