Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By J
How many rounds per year would you say, you would have to shoot to justify reloading? I want to start reloading because I know it's cheaper but it seems so expensive to get started. How long would it take to make your money back from the initial investment? I don't shoot as much as I want to but, it does make me feel better knowing I have a ton of rounds stashed away and can shoot pretty much whenever.
By CTSixshot
That's entirely up to you. Buy the fanciest gear on the market and you'll have a longer time to recoup your costs. That said, most reload for the satisfaction of brewing up superior ammo and to shoot more, not solely to achieve a return on investment. Being more of a hobby, you won't likely figure your time and labor into the equation either..
A simple hand press can get you started for a few hundred bucks (including dies, scale, powder measure, calipers, bullets, powder and primers).
I'd start simple and work your way up, just so you will get started and learn the fundamentals. You can always go wild with fancy equipment once you see that reloading is your forte. A second press can always be handy for dedicated functions, so don't worry about having the old press hanging around.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
I started with a simple single stage Lee press kit for 99 bucks when Cabelas had them on sale. I still use it for my rifle rounds it has paid for itself I say over 100 times by now.
By SR9
While I have not loaded all that many rounds I have also not bought any ammo since getting started. I plan to reload all my center fire ammo and buy rim fire only. Soooo, I doubt you can go wrong with the initial investment and the materials are in pretty good supply.
By JohnFH
I have a single stage for rifle, small batch pistol testing, and progressives for pistol calibers.

I load primarily for accuracy, but I can shoot more making my own.

I also have 2 bullet sizing presses and cast most of my pistol bullets.

My load count is up in the multi hundred thousand, give or take a few.
By J
Thanks for the info. guys. I have a ton of hobbies (some expensive as crap) basketball, baseball, football, coaching, motorcycles, guns, bowling, most importantly family and so on. My most recent hobby I was trying to get into was airbrushing. I ended up buying everything I needed and so far only worked on one of my motorcycle helmets. Its time consuming and I don't have much space in these garages in military housing. I think I may give reloading a try soon. I know eventually it will be worth it cause Im gonna try and shoot more often. Ill be looking into that Lee single stage press. Thanks again guys.
By sliverflinger
We probably aren't supposed to mention politics but we all know what the last couple of elections did to the ammo supply. Just having the ability to keep yourself supplied is really comforting. You don't need to start with the gold plated stuff. There is probably enough quality ammo put out on Lee equipment every year to supply a good sized army. If you aren't in a big hurry start hitting yard sales and estate auctions.I got my two favorite presses at yard sales.Both are Bonanza Co-ax,one was $35 and the second was $100 ( came with scales,measure , trickler the whole deal). One caution on auctions, get a catalog from one of big dealers (midway, natchez ect. and study it. It's easy to get a "deal" that is way out of line. Sorry this went so long but most of us were where you are once.
By a_sannine
I just started reloading for my 30-30 few weeks ago , I started with the Lee classic , it was fun , then I jumped to an RCBS , single stage and I love it ,
It is a lot of fun , I would say I spent over $400 so far between quick trimmer/ press /dies books /bullets / powder etc , but all I can tell u it is rewarding and will pay for it self in a short time , not to mention the fun making ur own load .
I am hooked to reloading big time :D
By Savage99
I started handloading in 1953 and I still have the press I got then along with others now.

It's about the fun and adventure of working up my own loads. Not the $
By Sebring_Pop
Savage99 wrote:I started handloading in 1953 and I still have the press I got then along with others now.

It's about the fun and adventure of working up my own loads. Not the $

YA THAT !!!!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!