Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By jerryd
Have to look on line, most stores around here dont carry them. check with blue trail they had some awhile ago.
By CTSixshot
Generally, most shops stock 230gr FMJ. Rarely will you find any jacketed SWC loads, hardly ever any cast bullet loads. I believe you seek semi-wadcutters; I don't know if you can even find a mold for a .452" wad-cutter these days.
If you come up short, come down and try some of my Saeco 68BB, Hensley & Gibbs 130 and Speer 200gr LSWC reloads. These are all LSWC of varying dimensions/profile.
You can shoot on-site. Best to find out which fodder your gun eats before buying a full bag of chow...
By JohnFH
I have the Lyman 200gr semi wad cutter mold
By jerryd
I have used BSL bullets and magnus SWC all with good results, bsl gives Vets free shipping, both are very good.
By CTSixshot
Don't know what you're feeding, but I had a shooter with a Sig and it simply choked on anything, but FMJ ball ammo. It may have digested cast RN, but I didn't have any for him to try at the time. LSWC, LTC, Plated SWC, JSWC, all bound up in his gun. It even burped with a jacketed FN similar to the Hornady TAP profile.
My Ruger seems to take anything it's fed. It would make sense to try various bullet profiles just so you know what your gun likes and dislikes.
By jerryd
All fired in 1911, from 170gr swc with just enough powder to eject but very accorate to 230gr swc just have to experiment with OAL for chambering.
By CTSixshot
GerryB:
How'd you make out in this endeavour?
http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?m ... x&cPath=71
Matt seems to offer the widest variety of cast bullets in .45, but many of the WC are ideally for the .45 Colt.
You can always sample the WC in your auto, but it may not function 100%.
Do empty cases feed okay in your firearm? If so, you may run WCs easily enough, too. You should be able to run any SWC (185 grains and up) and get proper functioning with clean, crisp holes in paper.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By hanoverfiste
Loaded ammo or just the bullets? I have over a 1000 200 gr SWCL I'm not using......
By GerryB
Hey CTSixshot, they didn't work too well. I still have some from when I got them from you back in 2013. In my clean pistol, a lot them didn't feed correctly. A problem you warned me about from the beginning. My 1911/magazine combo has some issues. Some work just fine, others just can't seem to make it up the feed ramp. When I do get them to feed, they go bang just like you advertise!
By CTSixshot
Perhaps a little variation in seating depths would minimize the hangups. What chambers in my Ruger may not necessarily work 100% in other guns. Some guns just don't like the blunt profile of semi-wadcutters.
If you can't find a way to get them to feed reliably, I'd just stick to ball ammo or any profile that does function well.
By CTSixshot
Any of my reloads can be returned for purchase price, if they don't function in your firearm.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!