Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
Looking for best shot gun for trap and maybe upland or duck huntin but i have a autoloader for that, in the mossberg line of break barrels, was thinking over under or side by side? I was leaning towards silver reserve field model, there is a sport model but more expensive. Thought? It will def be a mossberg tho.
By LTB45
Let me start by saying that I LOVE MOSSBERGS. I have 4 they are all 500's IMO they are the best pump gun for the money. I also should let you know that I am a competitive Trap shooter. I have the trophies to prove it. My wife is the CT Lady champ this year as well.

If you are going to get serious about Trap, DO NOT buy a gun that will be used for Trap and hunting. Casual Trap FINE but most casual trap shooters find that wont last long and do get into shooting ATA registered trap.

Also do not even consider a SxS for trap. It is not the correct gun. Get a single barrel like a Browning BT 99 or an O/U designed for Trap.

As for Mossberg O/U's if you get a NEW one then that will serve you fine for hunting or some lite clay games. I say new because the older guns were prone to problems. Broken firing pins or even both barrels firing with one trigger pull. The new ones have had those problems worked out.

Trap guns need to be able to handle THOUSANDS of rounds a year for many years. Mossberg break open guns have not proven themselves YET when it comes to that much regular shooting.

I hope that this helps.
By Lunarcaptain
i looked into the ou sport from mossberg.....any change on opinion of the sport model?
By LTB45
Lunarcaptain wrote:i looked into the ou sport from mossberg.....any change on opinion of the sport model?
NOPE!
I have a friend that bought one last year and loves it BUT, his gun has seen nowhere near as many rounds that my trap gun has seen this year.

To give you an idea, I have reloaded over 10,000 shells this year so far. I started this year with 2700 rounds left over from last years reloading. This year I also purchased 14 flats of new shells, that is another 3500 shells. At this time I have 700 made shells ready to go.

That means 15,500 have been shot between my wife and I this year.
99% of these shells, through our Trap guns
We both shoot BT-99's and they have NEVER had a problem.

Will a Mossberg O/U be able to survive that kind of shooting a year?? I dont know. Will a Browning BT-99 be able to handle that kind of shooting....YES...year after year.

When it comes to shotguns inexpensive is not good for a competition gun.

Again I am a big fan of Mossberg when it comes to their pump guns. They have proven themselves time and time again since they first started making them. So far their break open guns have not proved themselves.

If you really want an O/U Mossberg, I dont want to talk you out of it. I am just trying to make sure that you are an informed consumer.
Who knows the gun may last you a lifetime of shooting.
You may also never shoot the amount of shells that an ATA registered Trap shooter does.
By Lunarcaptain
wow...kudos to your and your wife for your accolades. i am impressed.

I am new and only shot trap once...25 shells...and I CAN PROVE IT!!! lol

I do own a mossberg 500 slug barrel. got it last year havent hunted with it yet. but will be this year. i did hunt last year with a friends 500 pump slug...and first day got a kill...head shot by the way! I not too sure if i will keep this as my deer hunting shotgun, I kinda like the idea of bolt action...but im way too novice to be any sort of judge.

I am purchasing a home defense shotgun the spx 930...not quite sure if i will be getting the pistol grip or not. I shot in a small 3 gun shoot and would like to get more into that scenario. man I thought i was a crack head with all my fishing gear...now that i got the gun bug....i think i may go broke....I want everything!!!!

i do appreciate your feeedback, and again hat off to you and the missus.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!