Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By CTSixshot
I've only got one pistol (A S&W SW40) to test-fire my reloads (my friend is doing the firing with his pistol). Using two powders at maximum cause failure to extract issues. The case comes about 70% out of the chamber and stalls. (180 and 200 grainers, no problem.) Without a magazine the solitary round feels like a factory round and ejects normally. Factory ammo overcomes friction of the loaded magazine, so reloads should do likewise.
Published load data and specs used, but 155 grain GDHPs just don't function reliably. I'm a bit reluctant to just add more powder...
Even though right out of company load manuals, perhaps Longshot (9.3gr) and Power Pistol (9.0gr) aren't the best choice for 155gr bullets in .40S&W? Perhaps faster powders like Bullseye or TiteGroup?
By JohnFH
I'm using HS-6 under Sierra 150 JHP #8430, about .3 grains under max, works great in my FN
By CTSixshot
Okay, thanks. That's in between the two powders I've used to date, so I guess it's not an issue of too slow a powder. One list shows Power Pistol at #33, HS-6 at #42 and Longshot at #52.
I've only got a small amount of 155 grainers anyway, but I'd like to know the recipe works 100% in any case. I'll use up the remnants with other assorted powders and see what happens.
By sjcolwell2
What are your min and max on your powder and how close to max are you. I personally like clays for my 40 cal . but I usually load 180 grainers. I got like 250 165grn HP I gotta load though.
By JohnFH
are you getting a good full length resize on the cases?, I have toss some that are just to bulged for my liking
By CTSixshot
Both powders are loaded at maximum charge based on company load data.
Cases have no excessive bulging, mic'd to verify specs are compliant. It's just the loads with the 155 grainers that are not functioning 100%. The 180 and 200 grainers loaded by the same manuals' data work just fine.
By CTSixshot
Hmmmm... he shot some of the 155 grainers yesterday and they functioned fine.
Maybe it was just some limp-wristing, not having shot that pistol very much...?
Out of 155 grainers now anyway, so I guess it don't matter for the present.
By sjcolwell2
yeah I get some bulge but not that much. they cycle fine
By sjcolwell2
yeah some bulge , but they cycle fine
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]