Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By denick
Rifle Shooting

I have lived my whole life in CT. My shooting is all self taught. I've never had any training in any firearms discipline. Firearms Safety, Hunter Safety, Bow Safety I don't consider training.

Most of my hunting has been black powder, bow, shotgun, .22 rifle. I've never needed to make a shot over 45 yards. All other shooting has really been random fun shooting.

I now have it in my mind to learn / train in a rifle discipline. I would like to be able to shoot a rifle at many different size targets, at varying distances, in any conditions, consistently. And know why and how I did it.

Any suggestions from rifle shooters?
By jtf650
Have you looked at the Appleseed marksmanship program? http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ They teach the basic fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, and you can use a .22 to keep the costs down if you wish. Centerfire or .22, the fundamentals are the same. It's not very tactical, no jumping out of cars or shooting while moving, so if that's what you're looking for it's probably not right. But for basic fundamentals, Appleseed seems to be well thought of by a lot of people.
By JohnFH
Any time you want to sit down and learn the boring science, bring coffee, doughnuts, a big note book and a pen. I can talk for hours.

To really understand longer range accuracy, you need to understand ballistics and the different factors that effect.

It also depends on the level of accuracy you want? If I'm not getting one hole at 200 yards, something is wrong.

Second thing is getting a rifle that you plan on using for a long time, every rifle is just a little different, so knowing your rifles little odd behaviors helps and can make the difference betweeen a hit and "almost".

I will be at NW in Colebrook tomorrow afternoon if your bored and need to get some sunshine in.
By denick
John,

I have a lot of paper and many pencils. I don't know how tomorrow is going to play out but I might be able to take you up on the offer. Doughnuts in the PM? maybe something more substantial?

Nick
By JohnFH
When ever you have time, let me know
By Arby238
I agree in tring Appleseed. A fun day and does not cost that much.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!