Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
I swear since day one I have had issues with primer feeder and the auto indexing on this press biggest waste of money. I have ever spent stay far away from this press.
By JohnFH
I load thousands of rounds on a Lee 1000, proper set up is critical and it does have to be clean and oiled. Biggest issue I see is timing not set right.
By newguy
I have had issues since day one. Seems every time i get it set right next time i use it I go thru the first hour just messing with it. I got it to save time and i seem to spend more time getting it to run right then i do using it. Maybe it me i have been following the directions even have gone online and looked at others tips and tricks and still can't get it to run right.
By JohnFH
Not sure what to tell you, I have one set up for 9mm, it works. I have loaded literaly thousands of rounds on it with only a minor issue or 2.

I recently helped my brother in law set up his and it's working well too.

Have you done any other reloading? Is this your first presss?

I can only guess there is some type of set up issue. I would suggest getting someone that is versed in Lee 1000 presses to give it a once over.
By Mike_Diako
They are very picky with timing.
By newguy
I have a single stage and the progressive. I was basically using single stage just for rifle rounds and was going to use the progressive for Handgun rounds only. Never had any issues with my single stage have most likely 2000 rounds or more done on my single stage.
By JohnFH
Then I'm going to say it's a set up thing, most common is timing. These things can be a little finicky at first no matter the brand.

Once it's set up, It shouldn't take much fussing with, I usually just sit down throw in some brass and primers and start pulling, other than some cleaning and checking the powder loads for consitency, I don't do much more.
By Mike_Diako
I finally had a chance to sit down and load some 9mm last night. What was supposed to be a nice relaxing evening turned out to be a frustrating disaster. I have had enough of this damn press. From exploding primers to smashed cases. What I've ended up doing is setting up a seperate turret with a plain decapping die. I decapped a ton of cases and I ordered an RCBS hand primer. My plan of action is to set up another non used pro1000 for nothing but decapping, remove the priming system from my current one and just load primed cases in the casefeeder.

I think that a lot of frustration would be solved by doing this. Plus, I can sit in front of the TV and prime cases. More family time. :lol:

Also, on a seperate note, I found a great supplier of cast bullets. Check out www.indianabulletco.com I just spoke to the guy over the phone. $55 shipped for 1k 125gr lead 9mm bullets. All their bullets are dirt cheap and he ships pretty much next day even though the website says sold out.

Once I get my hand primer I'll report back.
By JohnFH
I sat down last night to load 9mm and loaded rounds without issue on the Pro 1000, then loaded 45's on the Loadmaster, no issue, and then 38's on the old RCBS single stage.

I can't figure out why things are going so wrong for you guys, and fortunately I have never had a primer go off during reloading.

I could look at your set ups if you wish, I have had several Lee 100 presses and all have done what I needed them too.
By Mike_Diako
I've had mine for a few years and it's always been picky. I've finally had enough with the priming issue so that's why I'm going to hand prime. For some reason, it keeps flipping the damn primers sideways. The timing goes wonky after a while too. I'm going to tear it down again tonight and see what else I can do. I'm going to replace the cheapo plastic timing piece (again) and see if that helps. I have a bunch of them.

I would love to get a Dillon 550B but I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!