Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
By hayes1966
Send an email to the legislature today, post the email you send as a reply to this so others can get ideas.

Don't rely on everyone else to carry the fight for you - step up.

Send email to this list

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

Sample email

Members of Connecticut Legislature,

Testimony provided at the Gun Violence Prevention hearing showed that only 29% of the people arrested for firearm violations were prosecuted from 2001-2007. This is an appalling statistic and I am sure you are questioning the number. Please check the figures on OLR report 2007-R- 0442. I urge you all to review this report to see where the failure is. Of the 2,186 people arrested for stealing a firearm, 1,595 were not prosecuted for that crime and you wonder where the firearms that are used in violent crimes in cities across our state come from. Stealing a firearm is a class D felony. Why are they not prosecuted?

I was surprised that no one from the state prosecutors office was called to provide testimony on this important issue. Why not? Why is it that the figures used in the above report are not available for the last five years?

I believe the correct approach going forward is to propose what bills you decide on, and then proceed through the normal channels that are in place. Emergency Certification on firearms related bills is not the correct use of our legislative process. We deserve hearings on specific firearms bills that are raised by a committee only.

You also need to review the effectiveness of “Gun Free Zones”. Clearly they are not working the way you intended. You were quick to install metal detectors for the meeting on firearm laws but did not implement the same for the other meetings.
Last edited by hayes1966 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By hayes1966
My letter

Members of Connecticut Legislature,

I attended the forum on Gun Violence Prevention and put forward testimony showing that only 29% of the people arrested for firearm violations were prosecuted from 2001-2007. This is an appalling statistic and I am sure you are questioning the number. Please check the figures on OLR report 2007-R- 0442. I urge you all to review this report to see where the failure is. Of the 2,186 people arrested for stealing a firearm, 1,595 were not prosecuted for that crime and you wonder where the firearms that are used in violent crimes in cities across our state come from. Stealing a firearm is a class D felony. Why are they not prosecuted?

I was surprised that no one from the state prosecutors office was called to provide testimony on this important issue. Why not? Why is it that the figures used in the above report are not available for the last five years?

I believe the correct approach going forward is to propose what bills you decide on, and then proceed through the normal channels that are in place. Emergency Certification on firearms related bills is not the correct use of our legislative process. We deserve hearings on specific firearms bills that are raised by a committee only.

You also need to review the effectiveness of “Gun Free Zones”. Clearly they are not working the way you intended. You were quick to install metal detectors for the meeting on firearm laws but did not implement the same for the other meetings.

I include this quotation for your review.

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan
Last edited by hayes1966 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mu2bdriver
I hope you don't mind that I used your sample e-mail with some minor changes. I will follow up with a second, more personal letter later in the week.
By Mike-Sid
One response I got from Rep. Joe Aresimowicz

Thank you for contacting me about proposed gun legislation for this year. It is evident that the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary will leave all of us asking questions of how it could have been prevented. As a sportsman, I believe in our Second Amendment Right to bear arms. In moving forward and remembering those who have been lost, it is imperative that we as public servants have a more deliberative conversation, that isn't reactive. Thank you for your support advocating for gun rights as a citizen, I look forward to being part of a productive and educational discussion.

Talk to you soon.

Joe
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!