Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By SR9
Guys,

I am going to invest in a reloading set up. My objective is to get equipment to give me the capability to reload both rifle and pistol rounds. I expect to load around a hundred rounds a month, maybe more when I get going. I would rather get all that I need rather than just a starter setup. I would not say money is no object but I usually buy quality tools and keep them for a very long time. This will be no exception.

Questions :

1 - Single stage, turret, progressive?

2 - Preferred Brands?

(My brother is a re-loader and sticks with RCBS due to their warranty service.)

3 - Kit or pick and choose equipment?

I know there is a lot of experience out there your input is greatly appreciated.
By newguy
I have had good luck with Lee stuff even though it is cheaper. I started with single stage then moved to progressive. Honestly rather do my rifle rounds on single stage and pistol rounds on progressive.
By hayes1966
Vin,

I use RCBS and you are welcome to come check out the setup I use.
By Mike-Sid
Vin, I use a couple of Dillon RL550's you can also come over and check them out. I like the progressive's. I also have an RCBS Rock Chucker, single stage.
By JohnFH
I know what Vin has :wink:
By Arby238
I started with a Lee single stage. That served me good for a few years, then picked up a used RCBS turret. Still use both of them.
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:I know what Vin has :wink:
Yes, you do. :) I now own a RL 550B and will build my set up around that very capable machine. Many thanks for helping me with that JFH!

I had not planned for the purchase to happen this quickly but when good equipment became available for a good price and NIB it was hard to walk away.

Now on to case cleaning equipment, scale and the additional stuff that will help in the effort.

Keep your preferences and helpful additional tools and such coming.
By xring
I've owned Lyman, Midway, and Thumblers vibratory tumblers and like them all. Get a good balance beam scale. Some digital scales are decent for quick checks but when I need to trust the weight, I go balance beam. I'm using a RCBS 10-10 and recommend it. Dillion seems OK, Redding, and I used a Lyman cheapo scale for years until the pan became lost and I couldn't find a replacement. Starting with straight walled calibers will make getting used to the set-up easier. Get a good light to shine into the charged case to check for powder. Nothing ruins the day of shooting like a double charged round. I use an old "goose necked" reading light that I can angle above the press and see into the case. There's probably brighter, and easier to aim smaller lights that will work, either electric or battery powered. This is one of the most important things to do for your 550, good luck with it. I've had mine over 20 years and would buy another in a heartbeat.
By punisher
This is excellent info.
Im thinking about starting reloading myself and i dont have a clue on where to start.
Ammo is going up lately and I cant seriously afford to buy ammo at the rate it keeps going up in price.
Thanks to everybody in advance :)
By SR9
xring wrote:I've owned Lyman, Midway, and Thumblers vibratory tumblers and like them all. Get a good balance beam scale. Some digital scales are decent for quick checks but when I need to trust the weight, I go balance beam. I'm using a RCBS 10-10 and recommend it. Dillion seems OK, Redding, and I used a Lyman cheapo scale for years until the pan became lost and I couldn't find a replacement. Starting with straight walled calibers will make getting used to the set-up easier. Get a good light to shine into the charged case to check for powder. Nothing ruins the day of shooting like a double charged round. I use an old "goose necked" reading light that I can angle above the press and see into the case. There's probably brighter, and easier to aim smaller lights that will work, either electric or battery powered. This is one of the most important things to do for your 550, good luck with it. I've had mine over 20 years and would buy another in a heartbeat.
Great input, thanks.
By Ngneer2111
I'm seriously considering picking up a reloading press myself.

So far my research has lead me to the Lee Classic reloading kit. I'm going to start with .380 and 9mm.

I'd really appreciate some input from the knowledgeable gentlemen of this forum.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!