Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reports and information on local vendors.
By atbat82
I just got my first handgun, and a bunch of 9mm FMJ to run through it. I'm finding that a lot of the ranges I look at say "no jacketed ammo". Anyone know a good public range that allowed jacket ammo?

Thanks,
Tom
By CTSixshot
Public ranges...
Wooster Mountain Rt 7 south of Danbury Airport, High Rock (Naugatuck), Glastonbury DEEP Public Range, Blue Trails (Wallingford) and Hoffman's (indoor) are the only public ranges I'm aware of within 40 miles of New Haven. Blue Trails indoor is .22 only, I believe.
As far as indoor club facilities go, I'm only aware of "Cast Bullets Only" at the Bridgeport Rifle Club.
I've got ample cast reloads in 9x19mm, but God forbid, that you have to stoop that low just to shoot your new firearm.
By jerryd
Bridgeport Shooting Range in Bpt., dont know where your location is if thats too far !!
By Hddreamer
You can try chris gun range ,it's In Guilford ct right on rt. 1 there number is
203-453-1570
By newguy
Ya Blue Trail is 22 only indoor and it is dusty as hell in there
By atbat82
Many thanks! Didn't realize there were so many close by.
By CTSixshot
Yes, never even considered BSR and Chris'...sorry.
They don't have jacketed bullet restrictions either.
By PaiN
I'm sorry.....but back to the OP's question, what ranges don't allow FMJ?
I'd imaging not allowing these rounds would put a serious crimp in a ranges business :?
By CTSixshot
These aren't public ranges, but clubs with indoor ranges (cast bullets only):

Bridgeport Rifle Club (9 Old South Ave. Stratford, CT) http://www.bridgeportrifleclub.com/index.html
Non-members can participate in the Wednesday night pistol league (bullseye match):
http://bridgeportrifleclub.com/Pistol/W ... Night.html

Quaker Hill R&G Club (outdoor ranges have no jacketed restriction)
I've shot in their Charity Pin Shoot and Veteran's Day W/E Obsolete Non-Autoloading Service Rifle matches.

If you shoot metallic silhouettes, most clubs (NWCSA and QH) require cast bullet loads for center-fire rifles to minimize target damage.
Can't say what the reasons are for the indoor range restrictions...ricochet hazard, backstop concerns, contaminated lead salvage? Jacketed ammo would seem to minimize airborne lead issues, IMO.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jtf650
PaiN wrote:.....what ranges don't allow FMJ?
MSI in Manchester has public hours and doesn't allow FMJ.
By Hddreamer
Like I said Chris's you don't have to be a member and as far as I know FMJ aren't a problem .
Give them a call
By Arby238
Niantic sportsman Club. No jacketed ammo in the indoor range.
By atbat82
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up going to Bridgeport Shooting Range. Overall a good experience. Staff was friendly, it wasn't overly crowded (I.e. I didn't have to wait). Prices are reasonable. In fact, I went about 5 mins over the hour (mostly cleaning up brass) and they did NOT round up to the next half hour - I was pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be going back.

Tom
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!