Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
By myglimk2
Or any vehicle you would use in an emergency situation where you absolutely had to GTFO dodge and were able to drive.

I'll start. :wink:

2010 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4motion (AWD).
By AgentP
Something 4wd and diesel. Every house is a potential gas station for a diesel fueled vehicle.
By PaiN
With my Ridgeline gone.....We'd have to pack into the RAV4
By SR9
AgentP wrote:Something 4wd and diesel. Every house is a potential gas station for a diesel fueled vehicle.
I agree. I will get out in my Duramax pickup, comfy with plenty of room to carry stuff. Last resort for me though.
By MadSmith
1992 Chevy Suburban 4x4 diesel. Decent off-road capability, burns diesel, fuel oil, kerosene, biodiesel, used vegetable oil, used filtered crankcase oil, hydraulic fluid, even heated animal fat. No engine computer. Virtually immune from EMP. Old school heavy gauge steel all around, not the tinfoil they use on cars nowadays.
By myglimk2
MadSmith wrote: Virtually immune from EMP.
This is what I fear. :?
By GreggAndrews
I've noticed that a CV's hood is juuuuusssst about right to lay a rifle over. :twisted:
By Jason
Depends on what you're protecting against. Old jeep with no solid state components would be nice for an EMP...

An extremely high MPG vehicle if you are concerned about fuel...

Motorcycle, like a BMW R1200GSA if you want speed, maneuverability, etc..

I'd probably look into which Jeep style vehicles had the highest reliability record and go that route. Keep a lot of spare parts if you're really serious about it.
By budget76
Of what I have access to, this guy

If I had a choice, bobbed deuce or 5ton with the multi fuel diesel
By AGust82
I wish you all luck with your escapes. In a true apocalyptic-ish crisis though I'm betting any and all fuel gets expensive real fast. Real expensive. And any gas stations that actually have any will be absolute blood baths. I hope you can make your destination on the gas you have available right this second, because that's probably the amount of warning we'll get.
By Hermes
Yeah, I'm not planning on being in a vehicle for very long. Would probably hop on my motorcycle, and try to make it up to Massachusetts. From various points there, I can easily pick up the Long Trail, connect to the Appalachian Trail, and be in the deep woods of Maine in 2-3 months at a foraging pace.

If I have to, I can hoof it from my house, though the trail network in Connecticut isn't as comprehensive.

But I have no family to worry about. That's a luxury most of you don't have.
By CTSixshot
I'm sure there are a few Chinese kitchens that will swap waste oil for armed guard services...
... run the WVO through a mesh funnel to get the burnt chicken parts out, let stand and draw off the clear oil...
then, directly into the tank. I did this for a few years with my old Jetta.
By budget76
AGust82 wrote:I wish you all luck with your escapes. In a true apocalyptic-ish crisis though I'm betting any and all fuel gets expensive real fast. Real expensive. And any gas stations that actually have any will be absolute blood baths. I hope you can make your destination on the gas you have available right this second, because that's probably the amount of warning we'll get.
The perks of the Multi-fuel deuce diesel. Run motor oil/tranny fluid/whatever you scrounge up. Just filter it first and run it 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!