Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
So there is always the ongoing debate.. "What are the best SHTF weapons?"

What are your opinions on the best weapons for most occasions in such an event, at the brink and well after society changes. WHY would you choose whatever weapons you would? Try and limit it to what you and maybe one other person can carry personally. These are weapons you would start out with only.

I'll throw out my opinions after I hear some others.
Last edited by KenT on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
Glocks...
By hayes1966
Well I would change the title from weapons to firearms for personal protection. :)

Shotgun, AR 9mm and Sig 229.
By KenT
[quote="hayes1966"]Well I would change the title from weapons to firearms for personal protection. :)

It can include knives, axes etc too though. Anything goes afterall in that instance.

edit: I compromised ;)
By myglimk2
For this kind of situation I have chosen the Glock 19 and a VZ58. Both can go very long periods of time without having to be cleaned or lubed. Also, they are both well known to function under a lot of stress and weather conditions.
By AgentP
My G19 ( both of them) and an AR. Got tons of mags and ammo for both. And if I ran out, they are the two most popular rounds out there.

Or maybe my suppressed SBR AR in 22lr. You can carry a ton of ammo and its quiet!
By PaiN
Having a suppressed .22 rifle is probably a really smart idea. Not for ninja tactics or any such thing....In a survival situation, being able shoot game and not announce yourself for miles around might be very adventitious.
By Arby238
Glock 19, AR and a 10 22.
By KenT
Just guessing here but this is how I think this will 'go down', either gradually or not so gradually (years or months)

1. Lots of crime initially. Break-ins and such. So at least a 9mm will be OK, a shotgun, better.

2. We'll be forced out of these areas so a 22LR will do for basic self defense, deterance and some hunting. After about a 6 months to a year when people know there is little to no medical services they'll fear ANY firearm or even bows and crossbows as there will be no meds to take care of advanced infections.

Of course a good knife and hatchet type weapon would be an asset as well as tools. So theyre a given.

So in a nutshell, a 9mm (ideally a glock), a shotgun(any), and a 22lr rifle. 9mm and 22lr probably two of the most common ammo afterall. With any luck, other firearms (ARs:))will present themselves in some manner. Even a random bolt action to reach out and touch someone ... if required.

If I had to pick two, it would be the 9mm and 22lr rifle (10/22) though, considering Id probably also be carrying 40+lbs of other gear if I were required to be on foot.

Edit: I know a 22lr cant kill someone but with a few good shots (or a LOT) in the right spot(s), it will stop someone from shooting AT you long enough to get away or finish the job. Thats in a better case scenario though.
Yeah, I have too much time on my hands 8O :lol: :P
By MadSmith
How far along the collapse are we talking about? If it's post apocalypse post civil war Mad Max decades down the line, I'll throw in an oddball:

The .50cal Dragon Claw air rifle by Sam Yang of South Korea.

Doesn't need cartridge ammo, doesn't need cases, powder primers. If you can cast lead bullets, you're good to go. Twin air tanks, and can be legally suppressed today without needing any NFA paperwork. Can be picked up without any transfer paper trail. No flash, no muzzle blast when silenced. Can take down wild boar and deer, and 2-legged predators. Far faster reload time than a black powder rifle without the need to constantly clean to avoid fouling, and doesn't need any black powder. Just fill up the tanks beforehand with the manual pump. Easily shoots through car doors.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!