Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By phoffer961
I saw an ad on JoeBob Outfitters for a complete polymer lower for $109.95 delivered so I had to take a chance and see what I could build! The poly lower came complete and built with the lower, parts kit, and adjustable butt stock (which I pinned) with buffer! All I had to do was snap on an upper. I bought a complete upper from Midway, DPMS Oracle 16” for $387.42 delivered. I added MBUS front and rear sights, UTG Tri Rail, and a Hogue Wrap for the pistol grip. All together I spent $557.40 delivered including the $25.00 FFL fee. I took it to Blue Trails and ran 120 rounds through it with no issues! I was very happy! The rifle handled fine and the lower had absolutely no issues! I broke it down, cleaned it and inspected the rifle and found no problems! I have to say for a low budget AR this rifle is very cool! It is also lighter than my others which is to be expected. This is definitely a keeper!

Last edited by phoffer961 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
Have you put it on a scale?
By myglimk2
I have a UTG front metal flip up sight that is meant to be mounted on a railed gas block. Could save a pinch more weight by taking off that barrel clamp mount.

Pm me if you're interested. :wink:
By GreggAndrews
OK, this is really cool.

I don't like the idea of a polymer lower, but I've been kicking the idea around in my head to build a super, super, SUPER ultralight AR... it would be kind of fun to shave a few millimeters of thickness off of a barrel on the lathe... :twisted:
By MadSmith
We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Have sold literally dozens of polymer lowers, either alone or as part of complete rifles. Never had a problem with any of them. They're good sporting/range guns. Modern fiber reinforced ballistic nylon composites are pretty tough.
By GreggAndrews
MadSmith wrote:We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Have sold literally dozens of polymer lowers, either alone or as part of complete rifles. Never had a problem with any of them. They're good sporting/range guns. Modern fiber reinforced ballistic nylon composites are pretty tough.

Actually, not to derail the thread, but have you ever turned a barrel on centers, just to see how thin you could get one? Most obviously, accuracy would be compromised (and I imagine it would get hot!).

I personally think it would be really cool to get one under the 5lb. mark. :)
By MadSmith
GreggAndrews wrote:
MadSmith wrote:We have lightweight ARs in the shop that tip the scales at 5.5lbs.

Actually, not to derail the thread, but have you ever turned a barrel on centers, just to see how thin you could get one? Most obviously, accuracy would be compromised (and I imagine it would get hot!).

I personally think it would be really cool to get one under the 5lb. mark. :)
I just used a barrel liner, which is about as thin as you can get. Epoxied it to a garolite (G10) tube, which weighs less than aluminum. Worked well, but it does get hot. You may want to do something similar but with a milled aluminum tube. Give it most of the rigidity of a large diameter barrel but with much less weight, and increased surface area for cooling.
By nvisn
careful with 53-202a, that's all I'm saying.
By phoffer961
nvisn wrote:careful with 53-202a, that's all I'm saying.
Thank you for the heads up! I have ordered a muzzle break and will have it installed as soon as it arrives!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!