Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with hunting, post pictures of your trophy, recipes for cooking or tips for fellow hunters.
By Dan
What would be a ideal hunting rifle & shotgun ??
By JohnFH
Hunting for what?

308 and 12 ga, can by pretty much tailored to what ever game you might want in North America.
By GreggAndrews
JohnFH wrote:Hunting for what?

308 and 12 ga, can by pretty much tailored to what ever game you might want in North America.
Pretty much that. Add a .22 to the mix, and you're all set.
By RICH
Dan wrote:What would be a ideal hunting rifle & shotgun ??

or similiar
Blaser BBF97 12 ga over 308, can get .22 adapter too
By GreggAndrews
RICH wrote:
Dan wrote:What would be a ideal hunting rifle & shotgun ??

or similiar
Blaser BBF97 12 ga over 308, can get .22 adapter too
Blaser is EXPENSIVE... (but wow, bolt-lug recesses cut into the barrel are really cool). :P
By Dan
Deer hunting . But I like ur guys advice . Thank you
By XM15
Another question: Private land or public?

If you have private land over 10 acres to hunt you have much more range in the firearms you can use. Under 10 acres you may use centerfire rifles except during deer season when you can only hunt with a shotgun.

State land is rimfire (no .22 mags though) and shotgun use only.
By newguy
You forgot pistol with special addon piece to your hunting license
By XM15
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Sometimes its hard to keep up with all the changes. :)
By Dan
Don't hav any private land yet , but I'm looking for some soon . Want to practice more shooting first. Then I'll go out hunting so I'm more prepared . Trying to get All the info I can get & learn from u guys that have the knowledge..
By XM15
Have you taken the hunter's safety course yet?

I was suprised when I took it; I got more out of it than I expected.

The firearms part was tedious because it was the basic fundamentals all over again, but the rest of the course I found to be enjoyable.

My advise is to go hunting with someone who has significant prior experience - you will learn faster and it will make your first few hunts much more enjoyable.
By Dan
Yes I finished two weeks ago but I'm waiting for papers to get to my house so I can go and pay for my hunting license .
By XM15
If you don't have any private land lined up, I would buy a quality rifled shotgun. This would allow you to use it on both State land as well as private land if/when you get the rights to hunt it. Even with a shotgun, you should be able to be comfortable out to more than 100 yards which is usually more than enough in the woods around here. My brother has a Savage 220 slug gun which is supposed to be good out to 200 yards with the right ammo. I have a Marlin 512 which I am pretty confident out to about 100-125 yards. I've seen both gauges work just fine (straight through the deer) so either one will do what you need it to. A good H&R single shot would be a nice economical longun to start with. Got my first deer with one of those.
Last edited by XM15 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JohnFH
I love my H&R single shots, great turkey guns.

For an all around, I like the Mossberg 500 combos, 24" rifle sight slug barrel, smooth bore. I like the option of sticking 00 buck in if needed.
And the 28" ribvent removable choke barrel.

It doesn't do everything perfect, but everything it does, it does well.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!