Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Build a new rifle? Buy a new hand gun? Post pics of your pride and joy firearms here.
By newguy
So I went and traded a Firearm in today. I saw this and they gave me enough store credit to get this brand new revolver and 3 boxes of ammo. This will be my first revolver kinda pumped to try it out.

By GreggAndrews
... Is that a S&W 66? :?
By newguy
It a Rossi M851 4inch barrel vented 38 special. Guess from what I read online there made by Taurus now. Found out I can't use +p which was alittle disappointing but seriously doubt there much of a performance difference. All I know is now I am going to have to invest in another die set :lol:
By GreggAndrews
Oh... Rossi...

Well, if it goes bang, it's OK by me. :lol:
By newguy
Anyone happen to know what max gr size bullet i should reload for this revolver since it doesn't handle +p loads
By JohnFH
Bullet weight doesn't matter, it chamber pressure/velocity that matters.

I load from 140 to 170gr 38 target loads
By newguy
Honestly kinda wondering if it worth loading 38 or just go out and buy commercial really no price savings and I am no were near a good enough shooter to enter any kind of contests :lol: So really plain jane store ammo should do
By JohnFH
It costs me about 6 bucks per hundred for 38 reloads.

I don't shoot 38 in any kind of contest.
By newguy
Wow that is pretty low cost. Right now I am reloading 45acp and is it running me 24 dollars per 100. Which really isn't that bad but i like to reduce the cost by getting some lead cast bullets and stop using Remington 230gr FMJ bullets
By JohnFH
Now you know why I cast my own bullets, my 45 acp is about the same cost.

And that is the difference you will find in the ability of some shooters, it's not that I'm so much better, I shoot 3-4 times as much(6 per 100 vs 24 per 100), and just the shear volume makes a big difference.
By newguy
Ya i am supposed to be headed up to Goshen next weekend So going to pop into that Autumn Gun Works see what there lead cast 230gr round noses cost and pick some up. Buying Remington 230gr FMJ by the bag of 100 for 20 bucks at Cabelas is a total ripoff
By JohnFH
I know a forum member that sells cast bullets :wink:
By newguy
May have to take you up on that down the road. Least i can spend my winter reloading so I have a good stock come spring
By CTSixshot
.38 Special factory ammo isn't what I'd call cheap. It's not 500 S&W, but it's also not 9mm 115 FMJ either.
Reloading this caliber is definitely a plus!
Bullet selection is almost limitless for the reloader... for the store bought shooter, maybe two or three choices.
Don't let the .38 Special underwhelm you. 125gr XTPHP at 1068 fps is the maximum load with AutoComp. A 9x19mm does 1169 fps with HS-6. No Hodgdon data for anything above 147gr (38 Spl 170gr).
By newguy
Ya I was looking at the Hornady 125gr load data on that Hodgen site. Using the titegroup powder I already have seems like that may be the way to go. I will have to try out the revolver Saturday with the American Eagle 125gr FMJ on bought see how they work out.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!