Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
Going to attach it to my application when I get fingerprinted Thursday. If something should glaringly change please let me know. I'm on the last line of the 2nd page, so would prefer to not make it any longer. I know it's long, but hopefully it gets the point across and gets him thinking about his unfair requirements.

Mr. Michael D. Custer,

I am attaching this note regarding the “Character Reference” letters that Rocky Hill Police Department requests in addition to the information required by the State of Connecticut and the Connecticut Board of Firearms Permit Examiners for application for a Temporary State Pistol Permit.

I recently moved to Connecticut from New Jersey, and cannot in good conscience ask anyone in New Jersey to spend their valuable time to fill out a “character reference” form, then go to the Town Hall to have it notarized and mail it back to me, when it is against the Connecticut General Statute 28-29a(b) and the ruling by the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners made on the issue on October 8, 2009, adopted January 14th 2010. Attached you will find a copy of the ruling; though since you are listed as one of the Parties I am sure you are already aware of this ruling and the corresponding Statute.

Last week I spoke to one of your officers regarding the matter, and she understood my concerns and recommended I attach a note that I had recently moved from New Jersey. I briefly discussed with her the ruling made by the Board as well as the corresponding Statute, and she sounded well-informed on the subject. She also advised me recently that another individual recently submitted his application without the “Character References,” though I did not find out the progress of his/her application.

It was ruled by the BFPE that these additional letters of reference “are of little utility in the initial suitability determination inasmuch as they are solicited directly by the applicant from persons presumably friendly to him….. A careful analysis of the applicable law by this Board reveals no authorization for such requirements contained in the statutes.”(Final Decision p10).

I am aware that most jurisdictions do not require any additional information, though a few have chosen to maintain their requirements though the state of Connecticut does not require any additional information. Again referencing the attached Board of Firearms Permit Examiners document, we find “it therefore follows logically that the issuing authority may require an applicant to provide additional information concerning eligibility or suitability once an issue arises during the course of the investigation.” I understand, and the ruling agrees, that additional material may be requested if issues arise during the initial background investigation.

I previously completed a similar process in New Jersey in regards to the application process, as the process is similar to CT in reference to purchasing firearms. Though the state requires references listed, they do not ask for a reference form that correspondingly requires notarization: they simply ask for a telephone number to contact if something arises in the background check and they wish to obtain more information. As I have known and listed the ex-Mayor and ex-Chief of Police my whole life, this was obviously not an issue.

If there are any problems with my application or if you would like to discuss the matter further, feel free to contact me at the email address or phone number listed below. I hope I will not have to go through process that some in Waterbury are facing where the applicant is refused a background check, and following “they may appeal to the board where Waterbury would need to answer as to the cause of letters being requested" (http://ctcarry.com/PermitRequirements/Waterbury). Though I have no desire, nor the spare time, I will go through this appeal process if necessary to hopefully aid future applicants in receiving a fair and consistent process across the state of Connecticut.

Regards,

Christopher van Stolk
By AgentP
Well said.

I had a problem with my chief, for refusing to sign my form for a Suppressor. His answer was simply " I don't know you". Even though I tried to explain to him it had nothing to do with personally knowing me.

And that the previous chief signed off on my SBR and a suppressor. He just flat out refused. So, I went and got a trust! Now I can get what ever I want and don't need to jump through the sillly loop holes for his signature. Just goes to show you, they make up their own B.S. rules. Good luck!
By MessEleven
Not quite sure why you're going through this whole mishegas with the police chief. No need to write a letter explaining yourself...just submit your application when you get fingerprints, write them a few checks and wait. They have 8 weeks to approve or not, at the end of which you simply appeal if they don't. In short, bypass the chief and his illegal requirement.
By doug
2 pieces of advice just from living in rocky hill and knowing the chief pretty well. Go like 10 minutes early before fingerprinting starts to ensure you are first in line and don't have to wait forever. Also chief Custer is very lax and will sign your paperwork with no problem, it's been years since he signed my pistol permit paperwork but I had my supressor paperwork handed in and signed back to me in less than 24 hours and that was 3 weeks ago.
By budget76
doug wrote:2 pieces of advice just from living in rocky hill and knowing the chief pretty well. Go like 10 minutes early before fingerprinting starts to ensure you are first in line and don't have to wait forever. Also chief Custer is very lax and will sign your paperwork with no problem, it's been years since he signed my pistol permit paperwork but I had my supressor paperwork handed in and signed back to me in less than 24 hours and that was 3 weeks ago.
Good to hear and thank you for the advice. I plan to get there nice and early.

I'm attaching the note only because the officer suggested I attach a short note, but I felt it may help someone in the future to have a nice, factual letter attached. Like I said, I'll post up how the process goes
By doug
budget76 wrote:
doug wrote:2 pieces of advice just from living in rocky hill and knowing the chief pretty well. Go like 10 minutes early before fingerprinting starts to ensure you are first in line and don't have to wait forever. Also chief Custer is very lax and will sign your paperwork with no problem, it's been years since he signed my pistol permit paperwork but I had my supressor paperwork handed in and signed back to me in less than 24 hours and that was 3 weeks ago.

I'm attaching the note only because the officer suggested I attach a short note, but I felt it may help someone in the future to have a nice, factual letter attached. Like I said, I'll post up how the process goes
Let me know who the officer is that does your fingerprints. They generally are pretty good except for one or two who can get an attitude sometimes. Yea let me know if you have any issues or problems there. I'm sure you are aware but you know the fingerprinting hours are different from Tuesday correct? If you get there at like 1:50 you should be first in line with no problems.
By budget76
doug wrote:
budget76 wrote:

Let me know who the officer is that does your fingerprints. They generally are pretty good except for one or two who can get an attitude sometimes. Yea let me know if you have any issues or problems there. I'm sure you are aware but you know the fingerprinting hours are different from Tuesday correct? If you get there at like 1:50 you should be first in line with no problems.
Will do, and thanks again for the advice.

Barring any issues I plan to be there between 1:30 and 2:00, so hopefully I move right through.
By budget76
Nothing to update other than everything is handed in, including my letter and a copy of the ruling by the Board. Now to wait for the phonecall. I don't forsee them giving me any problems, and the lady in the Records department remembered speaking to me on the phone (was not an officer like I originally thought).
By doug
Awesome glad to hear everything went smoothly
By budget76
Update:

Just called to check the status, I'm 6 weeks in to the wait. Called and the records lady said "ohh no it will take way longer. usually 3 months". I responded with, well everything I've read is state law it should be done by 8 weeks, and some towns get them back as fast as 4 weeks. She said "oh", and told me she would call me when it was in. :roll: I'll be calling again next week, and if I have time stopping in the office personally.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!