Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
I have a question for you!

My father, who lives in Milford, is concerned about the home invasion which occurred in Milford a couple of weeks ago. He has a pistol which he has owned for 40 years however it has never been registered! He is worried if he ever had to protect himself and his family, he would get in trouble for firing his unregistered gun.

He is 82 years young and is considering getting his carry permit. After he get's his permit, how does he go about registering his pistol without getting into legal trouble? Does he have to take it to the Milford PD? To a FFL dealer? Any information would be appreciated! Thank you!
By AGust82
Millions of unregistered guns exist in this country. If it was purchased before automatic registration or in a place that didn't require it then there's nothing wrong with possessing it or firing it.
By hayes1966
No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.
By GreggAndrews
That's the nice part about CT, if you had it before the registration doo-dad came into effect, you don't need to do a thing. Likewise, even now if you move into state, you don't need to register it.
By phoffer961
Thank you for the replies! Does he have to have his permit or as long as he doesn't transport the pistol he is okay with out it?
By phoffer961
hayes1966 wrote:No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.
Hayes,

I assume he has to wait to get his permit before he files the DPS-3 form? Correct?
By hayes1966
phoffer961 wrote:
hayes1966 wrote:No registration is required for firearms purchased before the law was changed. There is nothing stopping you from filling in a dps-3 form and sending it into the DPS.
Hayes,

I assume he has to wait to get his permit before he files the DPS-3 form? Correct?
No, you can send in the form anytime to register the firearm. You are not buying a firearm so no approval required.
By myglimk2
I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02
By hayes1966
myglimk2 wrote:I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02
I agree!
By phoffer961
hayes1966 wrote:
myglimk2 wrote:I wouldn't even bother sending one in (in this case it is not mandated). The less the state knows the better. Just my .02
I agree!

Thank you!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!