Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By KBtoy22
Gonna get my hands on reloading my own ammo so can't wait for the package to come in! Still a newbie so I'm trying to get as much info as I can online but any tips from locals here would be appreciated as well :) And oh, does anybody here know where to buy primers and powder locally or close to Stratford... Is it cheaper compare to buying online and paying shipping/hazmat?

And yeah, this my first post!
By Mopar
Welcome to the obsession. :)
I'm in Stratford as well, and if you want local probably the best stock I've noticed locally is CT Gun Exchange in Monroe. If you want to travel a bit Hoffman's has decent selection. Buying online can be way cheaper (and better selection) but you need to buy enough to make the hazmat fee worthwhile. Usually when I buy I get a few friends to go in and we split the shipping fees.
The 2 places online that are consistantly a combination of good prices and good stock are Powder Valley and Wideners. There are tons others where you can find a 1 or 2 items cheaper, but like I said, you need to make that hazmat fee worthwhile, and those 2 usually have everything you want at a fair price.
By Mopar
Oh, and if you belong to a shooting club, check with them too. Mine puts together a huge order for it's members a few times a year.
By newguy
I say Graf and Sons for bullets not so much powder but bullets and casings if you wanna get new ones about cheapest you will find.
By CTSixshot
Welcome.
For oddities and occasional deals, look at polygunbag.com and http://hi-techammo.com/

I don't use a Lee Pro, but I'm reloading in Branford today. You can sit in, if you so desire. (9x19mm, .45 ACP/AR and 7.5x55mm).
Gary 860 961-8931 (once I leave the library...no Internet).
By KBtoy22
Thanks for the welcome and info! I'll definitely check them out...

@Mopar - Cool that you're from Stratford too, maybe we can meet and go to the range sometime :) I'm fairly new (just got my license this year) to this hobby and don't have any shooting club of some sort but would love to join on one that is close... Know (or are you on) a local club? Definitely I'm in for future group buy/order to save a few $...

@CTSixshot - Thanks for the 'sit in' invite, I may take you up on your offer but I think I can only visit during weekends... Hit me up on your next reloading session and I'll try to free up my schedule...
By jerryd
Welcome to the world of Reloading, its alot of fun, and will give you more to shoot, notice i didnt say anything about saving money, because you will put it back into supplys. whats nice is that you can tailor loads to your shooting needs. Read the load books and make sure you have a good scale, and have fun!!! :D :D Also north atlantic sportsman in monroe has good prices on primers and powder, see big joe!
By KBtoy22
jerryd wrote:Welcome to the world of Reloading, its alot of fun, and will give you more to shoot, notice i didnt say anything about saving money, because you will put it back into supplys. whats nice is that you can tailor loads to your shooting needs. Read the load books and make sure you have a good scale, and have fun!!! :D :D Also north atlantic sportsman in monroe has good prices on primers and powder, see big joe!
That's the goal, shoot more everytime I visit the range lol! Thanks for putting up north atlantic, now I have 2 GS in Monroe to visit this Saturday, it's gonna be fun!

Side note, I'm thinking of getting Alliant Unique and/or Hodgdon Universal Clay to start off with my reloading venture, would that be a good starting point? Oh, I have 2 x 9mm pistols but eventually there will be more :D
By jerryd
RIGHT NOW MY MAIN POWDER IS ALLIANT UNIQUE, I USE IT FOR 9MM, 10MM, 45ACP, 380ACP WITH GOOD RESULTS. THE OLD UNIQUE WAS DIRTY BUT THE NEW STUFF IS NICE. I HAVE USED CLAYS WITH 45 LEAD WITH GOOD RESULTS, VERY CLEAN. MOST OF MY RELOADING IS FOR TARGET SHOOTING AND UNIQUE HAS GIVEN ME WHAT I WANT, BUT LOOK AROUND AND TRY DIFFERENT LOADS SEE WHAT YOU LIKE, JUST BE SAFE! :D
By CTSixshot
FWIW, the Old Saybrook Wal-Mart carries 1# Unique (~$22) and 4# Clays (~$67) and Red Dot (~$72), as well as CCI primers by the 100 ($3.17)

Actually, I think the Clays is $72 and the Red Dot is $67...
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By KBtoy22
Went to North Atlantic this morning and got all the powders, primers and other stuff I picked up for reloading and was surprised that the prices are very reasonable and some are cheap... Didn't bother to go to the other GS anymore as everything I need is already there... And the best part, after introducing myself to Joe, when he's about to ring all the items I'm buying, and mentioned that a forumer (jerryd) here referred his store to me he generously threw me some awesome discountS (plural!) :)

I'd say, store has decent stocks of reloading supplies and very friendly/helpful staff (an old lady helped me btw) so it's worth the drive if you're thinking of stopping by... Thanks again jerryd for the information!

Btw, I picked up my package yesterday at Fedex so my press kit has arrived... Now I have to finish my work bench so I could start setting up and do some reloading!
By Mopar
KBtoy22 wrote:Thanks for the welcome and info! I'll definitely check them out...

@Mopar - Cool that you're from Stratford too, maybe we can meet and go to the range sometime :) I'm fairly new (just got my license this year) to this hobby and don't have any shooting club of some sort but would love to join on one that is close... Know (or are you on) a local club? Definitely I'm in for future group buy/order to save a few $... .
Where are you shooting now? I actually "commute" 40 miles or so to WLOPA (http://www.wlopa.com) because the closer places are either indoors and pretty much pistol only, or just plain suck. There are 4-5 other forum members that belong there as well. A well-rounded club, with pistol, rifle, trap, skeet, and even archery They also have bird hunting in season. And they have a bar that's open on weekends. :P
I do use BSR for a little weeknite fun during the winter, as well as bring students there.
By Mopar
KBtoy22 wrote:Went to North Atlantic this morning and got all the powders, primers and other stuff I picked up for reloading and was surprised that the prices are very reasonable and some are cheap... Didn't bother to go to the other GS anymore as everything I need is already there!
Joe is a great guy, my wife and him go way back. Don't shop there as often as we used to because he tends to lean toward hunting firearms and supplies.
By newguy
Dam i wish there was more reasonably price places that had reloading supplies in my area. I swear ever place i need to go is anywhere between 20 mins to hour drive. More I think about it the more i wish i had the cash to open my own store. There like nothing in my area espeacilly since New England Field and Stream went out of business.
By CTSixshot
Precision Reloading was great when it was in Stafford Springs, but that is history, too.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!