Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By CTSixshot
Power Pistol is my latest choice with the Berry's 185gr HBRN. I don't recall cast bullet loads off the top of my head, but 700X, HP38, W231, WST, Red Dot, B/E, Unique all have ample .45 ACP recipes.
It generally comes down to what's available and lowest-priced to me.
By newguy
Think i am going to give Unique a shot. See how that works out. My press should be in next week. Then the struggle of setting that up.
By CTSixshot
FWIW, the Old Saybrook Wal-Mart stocks 1 pound Unique, 4 pound Clays and Red Dot. Not that it's worth the trip down. I believe the 4 pounders were ~$68 (don't quote me though). Forget what the Unique price was, but it might be worth a call to verify.
By newguy
Well Saybrook Walmart not all that far from Lenny and Joes . So i could kill two birds with one stone. Get fried shrimp and powder in one trip lol.
By CTSixshot
If you opted for Red Dot (4 pounds) I'd split it with you.
Red Dot is pretty much a given for cast rifle loads. It is suitable for cast .45 ACP loads, too (not so much for jacketed though).
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... ?gtypeid=1

On a side note, one feature of Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot is that they are easy to identify with the respective colored-flakes intermixed in each of these powders.
By newguy
I think I am going to buy 1lb or Unquie and 1lb of Bullseye. Try those two first. Since there 7000 gr of powder in a 1lb. 2 lbs of powder should last me forever. Since seems like.most max 45acp loads are around 5gr. Yep I did the math :lol:
By newguy
Not sure have to look it up. Sure disappears faster then gold. So far in last 2 months I have gone thru 100 .311 heads. 1/2 lb of 4895 and 20 .268 heads and about 1/4 pound of.W760 lol
By CTSixshot
So, that's 6 boxes of obscure mil-surp ammo at nearly $20 a box or $120...

A pound of powder is heavier. 454 grams (Avoirdupois) versus 373 grams (Troy).
By newguy
Trying to get my dad to limit his amount of 303 he shoots each time we go out to like 30 rounds. Since he has 4 rifles and a handgun now. There no reason to be blowing off like 80 rounds every trip out. I think he gone thru at least 600 rounds of ammo thru that rifle. Since I gave it to him. Plus he got a 22 Marlin now so alot cheaper to blast away with that.
By CTSixshot
That's why you reload. It allows much more shooting per dollar, right?
Incidentally, my last price check at WMT was:
Unique $20.97 1#
Red Dot $73.35 4#
Clays $72.97 4#
CCI primers $3.17/100
By newguy
Gonna have to grab some large pistol primers too. So should be worth the trip down there. Grab some lunch too. I have like 5 empty 45acp cases that use the small primers i think i may just put those up for trade though since i don't wanna mess with small primers
By CTSixshot
Indeed. Check your brass for the small primers, so you don't try to ram a large primer into that smaller hole.
Now, if only WMT sold bullets in bulk...
By GixerJockey
newguy wrote:Gonna have to grab some large pistol primers too. So should be worth the trip down there. Grab some lunch too. I have like 5 empty 45acp cases that use the small primers i think i may just put those up for trade though since i don't wanna mess with small primers
Speer Lawman .45ACP cases use a small pistol primer. I don't know of any other manufacturer that uses them in .45.
By newguy
Federal does also and the brass cased Blazer and S&B. Those are some of the 5 small primer brass i have.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!