Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By Mopar
That said, it wasn't the flop nvisn makes it sound like. At it's largest point there were over 300 people there.
There were 2 other events going on in Hartford that day. There was a National Day of Prayer rally that never had more then 10 people that I saw. There was also a Woman's Rights rally nearby in Bushnell Park that was very heavily promoted, even the local print and TV were promoting it. They had live bands and national level speakers, and I never noticed more then a few hundred people there either. Face it, most people in CT do not give a crap about anything except themselves; if they did this state wouldnt be in the mess it is, and I'm not just talking firearms.
By JohnFH
I was working, creating more citizens with CT Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

And when I saw an open position at CCDL I offered to fill it.

As far as going to Hartford, I think I can do more to educate by actually talking to people and with my controversial posts here, makes people think.

I also feel my direct correspondence with my legislature has a greater effect than standing in a group of people in a park.

I bet most of them don't know or care there was an event last Sat., but they would notice 100 letters and phone calls a day from the people they represent. The queaky wheel gets the grease, we as gun owners need to be the squeaky wheel, be repsectful, but vocal, the biggest fear our gov has is, that WE know that rules, and demand that the gov obeys them too.

I think why your post has been not as well received on the forum, is the people on the forums tend to be the more active firearms owners, that already participate in the process to the best thier ablilty(me). The people we need to get too are the ones that have a gun in the closet, show up to shoot the weekly what-ever match they shoot in the summer, and we never see or hear from these "closet" owners. These people are the ones missing out on all the problems, because they don't exist in the world between the house and club.

These are the ones that will be the most shocked when someone shows up at 4am beating down the door demanding that trap shotgun.

The other important group we need to educate are non gun owners.
They need to know we are not a bunch of murduring thugs because we choose to engage in the shooting sports.
Gun owners don't care if you choose not to own one, or I won't hate you for beating up golfballs if you don't hate me for shooting pieces of paper.

thats my $.01
By Mopar
You're only half right, John. They won't care that 300 people stood outside the Capitol. They WOULD have cared if it had been 3000. We've heard directly from legislators that the sheer number of people who turned out to testify on the mag capacity bill is what got noticed. The anti gun legislators didn't care what people had to say, they just cared that they cared enough to turn out and oppose it and if they wanted to get re-elected maybe they should too.
A huge turnout saturday would have sent the same type of message. They wouldnt give a damn what any speaker said. They WOULD care about that many voters giving up a saturday to remind them the 2nd Amendment is something we feel strongly about and will factor into our votes in November.
Many of us were also working at the rally.... I personally talked to several people who just wandered up; many from the newarby woman's rights rally. Despite the liberal slant of that rally, many of those people seemed to understand that a woman's right to defend herself is just as important as any other right, and that a gun may be the only way for a 95lb woman to protect herself from a 200lb male attacker. I passed out a handful CCDL cards to people, I may even have lined a few up for a permit class, especially when they found out my wife is also an instructor.
By GreggAndrews
If I were not slightly tapped for both time, and money right now I would be more involved.

I for one, am starting to tire of our legislators, and the legislation passed in order to fuel a liberal agenda that is entirely unwelcome.

I'd join the CCDL, but for now I'm not sure if:

A: It would be worth it at this very moment, as the state says that I am a danger to not only myself, but everyone around me (Don't worry, in a year I'll be A-OK, even though I've been shooting handguns for a good part of my life).

B: I'm not entirely sure if the State Police would consider the CCDL a "subversive" organization, in which would automatically become grounds for disqualification. (In all likelihood the CCDL is not considered such... but then again, I find myself questioning the motives of the Connecticut State Police more & more.)

I'm only trying to keep my options open. It's not worth my time if I end up being permanently barred because I am associated with an entirely legal, entirely beneficial organization. Likewise, I can't be an example for the others to follow if I can't enlist because the hiring panel gets a wild hair across their ass. If I can't get in, I can't be the "good" one.

(Especially with the ticket-blitz fiasco... I'm now more than just a little disenchanted.)

I am half considering just packing up my stuff & moving to Arizona. The state that doesn't offer anything to somebody that they took almost $300 out of their paycheck from IN ONE WEEK doesn't deserve my tax-money anymore.

If I'm going to get porked without at least getting a reacharound, I'd rather pay up to a state that accepts that people under 21 are indeed responsible enough, and have an explicit right to carry a firearm... instead of being FORCED to be a potential murder victim, if only because some "scientific" study that is funded by marginally anti-gun organizations says that 21yro's have a more thoroughly developed brain than those below that age. This thoroughly explains why most 30+yro's I've seen are dumber than a box of rocks.

I am starting to think that CT is a lost cause.

I appreciate the CCDL, I honestly do. You guys really do a lot for our rights. This state is just such a hellhole.

[/aggravated-nicotine-caffeine-fueled-rant]
By JohnFH
I stated my opinion, there is no right or wrong.
By Mopar
GreggAndrews:
First CCDL is not a handgun rights organization.
Mission Statement
The Connecticut Citizens Defense League is a non-partisan, grassroots organization devoted to advocating rights affirmed by the Constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Connecticut. We are especially dedicated to protecting the unalienable right of all citizens to keep and bear arms, for the defense of both self and state, through public enlightenment and legislative action.

We welcome anyone who believes that the defense of our constitutional rights is critical to the longevity of our freedom and to the success of this nation, and in particular that the rights to self defense and to keep and bear the arms to actualize that defense, are fundamental and undeniable.
You are still a gun owner, and (I hope) a voter. It doesnt cost anything to join, and frankly, the larger the membership the more pull we have in Hartford. During the mag cap ban, legislators not only heard how many members (read voters) we had, but also how our membership had increased something like 30% since the ban had been proposed. Trust me, they noted that. This year when we testified, they learned our ranks had almost doubled again in the past year. They notice that, and if you don't think so, who would have thought a pro-gun bill (HB 5245) would pass the House this year with unaminous support (141-0)? Not a single antigun House Rep voted against it.

Second: CCDL does not share it's membership list with ANYONE. Period. We've had very progun people ask for access to it for very progun uses, and refused. They will never name you as a member without your permission or a court order. If you're worried about being on a "list", you crossed that event horizon long ago with your forum and facebook posts.
By newguy
I doubt the mag cap was going to happen anyways. It was just a knee jerk reaction to what happened in Arizona. Just like half the other bans most are knee jerk reactions to current events. What someone should do is go after the stupid assault weapon laws we have in this state.
By GreggAndrews
Gun owner and voter. No worries. :)

It's not the "list" part that bothers me, that's no problem. Association on the other hand, is another issue.

Then again, an organization that doesn't want to see people be active in pursuing their rights, is an organization I do not want to be part of.

PM inbound.
By myglimk2
newguy wrote:I doubt the mag cap was going to happen anyways. It was just a knee jerk reaction to what happened in Arizona. Just like half the other bans most are knee jerk reactions to current events.
How could you have been so sure it wouldnt have been voted in? Regardless if it was a result of a "knee jerk" reaction. If there is noone there (CCDL and it's members) to fight for our rights as gun owners here in CT, what is to stop them from voting in every anti-gun bill?! Or to impose on any of our other rights to freedom?
What someone should do is go after the stupid assault weapon laws we have in this state.
"What someone"? Do you mean what WE should try to do for the CT's AWB?
Why does it always have to passed off to "someone" else?!

:rant:
By newguy
What i ment by someone is the state representatives we vote into office. If you want something effectively done about issues in this state then go vote. If you vote for folks you know who will stand up for the issues then your issues will be solved. I see so many folks at polling places just filling in dots without knowing what the person your voting for stands. I think most effective way to get things done is vote for correct people. Sure i do understand the fact that standing in front of the capital and holding signs has some effect but it is the people who decide to vote into a office that will make the most difference. Just my own opinion and this is America so we have the right to it.
By myglimk2
newguy wrote:What i ment by someone is the state representatives we vote into office. If you want something effectively done about issues in this state then go vote. If you vote for folks you know who will stand up for the issues then your issues will be solved. I see so many folks at polling places just filling in dots without knowing what the person your voting for stands. I think most effective way to get things done is vote for correct people. Sure i do understand the fact that standing in front of the capital and holding signs has some effect but it is the people who decide to vote into a office that will make the most difference. Just my own opinion and this is America so we have the right to it.
So we should only just vote and expect things to get done? We should just sit back and be quiet? Now, if all of us gun owners just decided to "shoot the breeze" vote and not make any noise, maybe things will go in our favor.
I don't see it happening that way. We all need to stand up and fight for our rights, not only with voting, but making as much noise as possible to drown out the noise from the very people trying to take our rights, our freedom from which this country was built upon. If WE don't make it very CLEAR for them, that they will not restrict or take our rights from us. They need to know that we are willing to do what takes to keep our freedom and our God given rights!

Voting is one way. Showing our sheer number and size will go alot further. They need to be reminded that they work for the people and by the people!
By 67malibu
Just joined the CCDL.. I did not know anything about the event basically due to lack of forum use. and I probably would not go into hartford for anything other then bringing my boy to the childrens hospital.

our leaders dont care they only time they listen is when they need your votes. then after that get the lube out its bend over time.
By GreggAndrews
Just joined the CCDL.. I did not know anything about the event basically due to lack of forum use. and I probably would not go into hartford for anything other then bringing my boy to the childrens hospital.
I'm joining right now actually. :)

Here's the problem: Our legislators do not care, as long as they can further their political agenda.

It's getting to the point where even votes don't count. It's all about the money & power. Power = control. There would be no way to justify the actions of our current POTUS (and state legislators) otherwise.

They need to know that they are losing that control.
By 05roadking
Just joined now. The number of people who show up do work. Years back
the CMA (ct motorcycle riders) had rallys opposing the mandatory helmet
law every Sunday on the capitol lawn. The numbers became quite impressive, and the law was repealed.
By Mopar
myglimk2 wrote:
newguy wrote:I doubt the mag cap was going to happen anyways. It was just a knee jerk reaction to what happened in Arizona. Just like half the other bans most are knee jerk reactions to current events.
How could you have been so sure it wouldnt have been voted in? Regardless if it was a result of a "knee jerk" reaction. If there is noone there (CCDL and it's members) to fight for our rights as gun owners here in CT, what is to stop them from voting in every anti-gun bill?! Or to impose on any of our other rights to freedom?
What someone should do is go after the stupid assault weapon laws we have in this state.
"What someone"? Do you mean what WE should try to do for the CT's AWB?
Why does it always have to passed off to "someone" else?!

:rant:
THIS.
If nobody opposed that mag ban you can be sure it would have passed. It was introduced by those people we (not I, but the collective we) voted in, if they didn't hope it would pass they wouldnt have submitted it. There are only only a handful of openly pro-gun legislators in CT state government. Do you think they could have held off a hundred antigunners if none of those antigunners had seen and heard their constituents oppose the bill? Trust me, if nobody had turned up for that public hearing, if people hadn't clogged the switchboards and servers in Hartford, they would have slipped it right by like the AWB and none of the sheeple would have said boo.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!