Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By newguy
So i picked up a tumbler for like 15 bucks and went to petsmart got a huge bag of lizard litter basically crushed Walnut and Got some of that Nufinish car wax and mineral spirits Just wanna make sure i am going about this right way or can someone give me a heads up I am going to let the lizard litter the cap or Nufinish and the cap of Mineral spirits run 20 mins then throw the brass in
By GixerJockey
Just curiou... How much did you save buying the Lizzard Litter, wax and mineral spirits vs. just buying a box of Lyman red or green polishing media? Seems to me if would just be a heck of a lot easier to use one product instead of three.
By newguy
Lizard Litter was about 7 bucks for a 10lb bag and Nufinish was 4 bucks and Mineral spirits were like another 4 bucks. So was like 15 bucks total
By JohnFH
I would just get the lyman red stuff for 8-9 bucks for a 7lb tub, I get about a years worth per jug and my tumbler runs about 30 hours a week
By Mike-Sid
I use walnut and put a cap or two of the blue stuff Dillon sells in. I do not think you want to wax the brass, just clean them. I would guess the mineral spirits would evaporate and leave a petroleum residue behind. That might contaminant the powder or primers.
By newguy
Brass nice and shiny not greasy at all. I let the Nufinish and mineral spirits mix for like 30 mins till it was basically dry came out real nice
By newguy
Ya someone I knew had jug of walnut media and a bag of lizard litter we poured it out on table couldn't tell difference and lizard litter 1/4 of the price
By Mike_Diako
I just use the pre-mixed media. When it starts doing a shitty job or takes forever I will pour a cap of nu-finish or Flitz in the tumbler.

I always throw a used dryer sheet that has been cut up in to strips or small pieces in with the media as well. It traps all the fine particles and keeps the media working longer and catches a lot of the nasties from going in to the air.
By newguy
Well i figured i pickup a tumbler because this tag sale sorta place that opened in Middletown had a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler for 15 bucks. Was still in box and i don't think anyone every opened it because was still wrapped in plastic. Lucky me i looked up online and Cabelas sells this one for 85 bucks
By GreggAndrews
I don't even bother tumbling.

Shiny brass gives away your location; therefore shiny brass is not tactical brass :wink:
By Mike_Diako
I just tumble enough to clean the brass. Not polish.
By Mopar
Nufinish is a common trick, just toss a capful in every couple batches. No need to let it run for 20 minutes before adding the brass, it will work in just fine if you add the nufinish in at the same time as the brass. Never heard of the mineral spirits though.
By GreggAndrews
Honestly, I just wash all of my decapped cases in a plastic tray filled with soapy water. Lay all the cases down (orient them so they are all facing the direction the water will flow), and tilt the tray back & forth. Pulls an amazing amount of crud from 2x/3x fired cases, and gets all the crap off of them.

Then do two rinses (first one gets most of it out, second one takes care of it all) & voila, now you can lay it out on a paper towel for a couple hours. I prep my primer pockets at this stage while it's still drying, and the crud is still soft.

:)
By Mopar
I know some people that swear by something like that to preclean before polishing. They put the brass in a big rubbermaid bowl with a lid. Then the add hot tap water, a squirt of dish soap, and a spoonful of this stuff called "lemi-shine" which appears to be some sort of citrus based dishwasher additive. Anyway, put the lid on, and shake the crap out of the mixture. Let soak for like 8-10hrs shaking every few hours if you can. Then rinse the bras well and lay out to dry. After the brass is dry, then add it to the polisher. Seems like a lot of extra work to me, but I guess the polishing media lasts longer.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!