Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
Waterbury, Connecticut, March 22, 2012:

Connecticut Carry has received numerous complaints that the Waterbury Police Department continues to demand additional and invasive requirements before they allow their citizens to apply for a permit to carry pistols and revolvers. Further, the Waterbury Police Department refuses those applications if a citizen rightfully refuses the demand.

The lack of legal authority for a local police department in the State of Connecticut to invent their own requirements and supplemental forms in the application process has been established in legal opinions dating back to at least 1968 in a published opinion by then Attorney General Robert Killian.

In January, 2010, the Connecticut Board of Firearm Permit Examiners upheld this same legal opinion, extending and clarifying it, publishing it and sending it to all of the municipal police departments in the state, including the Waterbury Police Department.

The Waterbury Police Department continues to ignore the Attorney General’s office, the BFPE, the legislature and therefore the people of Connecticut by refusing to issue permits to people who refuse to submit to the burdens that the Waterbury Police Department has placed on the permit process while lacking any legal authority to do so.

Connecticut Carry calls on the leadership of the Waterbury Police Department to correct these behaviors and to stop infringing on the rights of the citizens of Waterbury to bear arms.

Connecticut Carry also calls on Mayor Neil O’Leary of Waterbury to mandate that the Waterbury Police department follow the Connecticut General Statutes. Connecticut Carry has also notified the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and Attorney General George Jepsen in their official capacities on this issue.

More information on this issue can be found on: http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/PermitRequirements

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: [email protected]
http://ctcarry.com
By hayes1966
Rich,

I thought the appeals board would hear any cases along these lines in an expedited manner.

Is that not the case?

John
By Rich_B
hayes1966 wrote: I thought the appeals board would hear any cases along these lines in an expedited manner.

Is that not the case?
Appealing has nothing to do with this. The Waterbury PD has no right to burden applicants with additional requirements.

I am not aware of any special expediting for appeals based on a denial like this, but the BFPE has been doing a great job lowering appeal time altogether.
By jkysmrf
Waterbury PD took a long time to get my pistol permit application submitted. I am sure that my paperwork was misplaced twice during the process. It took about 5 calls to the PD to get them to stop dragging their feet.
It took them about 3 weeks to get an ATF Form 1 signed as well. They did, however, sign it eventually.
By Rich_B
I will be discussing this issue on the radio (960 AM WELI) tomorrow morning.

If you are interested, you can listen live on their site (or on the radio of course):

http://www.960weli.com
By GixerJockey
Rich_B wrote:I will be discussing this issue on the radio (960 AM WELI) tomorrow morning.

If you are interested, you can listen live on their site (or on the radio of course):

http://www.960weli.com
What time is the radio interview?
By Rich_B
After 7am. Scheduled for 7:10 but these things rarely occur exactly on time.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!