Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with fishing. Feel free to tell the tale of the one that got away.
By BigJonBoy
What are some of your guys favorite fishing spots? Largemouth, smallmouth, trout etc. I have the best luck at pickerel lake in moodus. Not a very big lake, but the quality of the bass is excellent. Also like Bolton lake for thechannel and Bullhead catfish after dark. Great for the kids, guaranteed big catch almost every cast.. looking forward to hearing about your favorites and maybe some stories.
By Drew
yeah I got the bug, Im going to head out for some bass soon. Just got to free up some time. I trek up to Cornwall a few times a year for trout and smallmouth on the Housatonic. I fish lake Wintergreen alot. Not because it's good fishing, it's just ok. But it's three minutes from my apartment and I can go when normally I would not have the time.

I used to have a bass boat, had it for nearly 20 years. Spent all my time on Zoar and lillinonah. Caught some fantastic bass on both.

from about 1974 to the early 2000's my parents had a small camp in upstate NY, Malone which is north of the adirondacks close to Canada. Killer trout fishing in the Samon River, like a dream. I would often trek in to the woods and catch native brook trout in these little swamps and such. Would bring them home for the neighbors.

My parents camp was surrounded by a lot of woods with snowmobile and dirt bike trails that would go right past awesome fishing holes that were too far to walk to without something motorized. In the winter I would snowmobile to my favorite spot. There would be feet of snow and ice but if I could walk a nightcrawler where the river bank was undercut I could catch trout. Some winters there was too much ice.

Story:
There used to be a little gas station in Oxford that was also a bait and tackle shop. it was run by an old couple. Charlie and Helen Kirk. My dad worked for them as a kid. Eventually the town of Oxford took over the property for the town hall. Charliw wouls spend winters in Florida and summers he would stay at my house and at my parents camp.

Charlie was that old timer that could catch fish when nobody else could or he would catch the record fish. In my teens I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with him and he taught me a lot.

We would go down Andersons Landing in Milford (I think) and he would be catching Blues and Weakfish when nobody else would be catching anything. On our way home we would sell the fish to the local diners.

I like to talk about Charlie to keep the memory alive. Fishing with him was some of the best times of my life.

Side note: When he shut down his store I'm guessing it was around 1976 or so. My dad and I helped clean out the place. The place was like a time warp from the 40's and 50's. Not knowing any better we threw away so many antique lures in the original boxes because my old man considered them worthless junk.

I went to antiquelures.com about a year ago and felt ill when I saw the value of these things in 2011.
By newguy
Ya i am going to be headed to Jeremy river in Marlbrough opening day it real nice trout spot. Normally fish there all season because it constantly stocked.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!