Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By JohnFH
We cut dovetails on a bridgeport with a dove tailing bit, you need to know that angle of dove tail you want to cut.
By a_sannine
Just want to shorten a barrel from 26 to 16
By GreggAndrews
Just want to shorten a barrel from 26 to 16
Yeah, but what at what angle are the dove-tails cut? Measure the angle of the bevels on the sight base & then we'll know.
By JohnFH
Most people us a lathe to cut barrels
By JohnFH
I use a bridgeport with a properly angled cutter. If you want to try hand cutting sight slots, more power too you.

The barrel has to be cut square to the bore and really should be crowned, same as above, if you want to try it by hand, have at it.

For what it costs for a good barrel, it is really too much work to bother cutting one any more.
By GreggAndrews
Wait a minute, I'm confused as hell here.

Do we want to cut a barrel down, or do we want to dovetail it?

Cutting dovetails by hand... no thanks. Won't be as accurate or well finished as a milling machine can do it, and the mill will take FAR less time.

Cutting a barrel down with a hacksaw & truing it up with a file? That's f'en stupid. Take a perfectly good rifle & ruin it for virtually forever until someone with a lathe can get to it & face the muzzle off. I don't care how good you are with a set of files & a hacksaw, you will never be as accurate as a lathe.

I'm all for expediency & backwoods tech (because let's face it, not everyone has the experience, or equipment & I have been in positions like this before where I absolutely needed to make a part out of nothing so I DO understand).

The ONLY way I would cut down a barrel with a hacksaw, is if I didn't have the cut-off tool for the lathe at the time, but wanted to rough it out so I could later face the muzzle off in the lathe.
By hayes1966
After he cuts it I am guessing he will want to move the sight back :D
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!