Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Information related to your local club.
By Mike-Sid
Who is saying anyone is drinking and shooting? It is an all day event. After I shoot I retire to the clubhouse to eat and drink, then eat some more. There are range officers at the ranges watching the ranges. Because you drive to the package store to get beer, does that mean you drink and drive? No club I belong to tolerated drinking and shooting, even if they have a bar. I think you misunderstand peoples comments.
By CTSixshot
As an outsider, that is a non-member at Meriden, I would say that they are a rational group that keeps things sane and decent. There are plenty of members that appear to be there for the socializing, fireplace and embellishments alone. Fine by me. The ranges are supervised and orderly (and until this event became as popular as it has, the ranges were almost empty).
As many have stated, do all your shooting and then relax by the fireplace, eat, drink and be merry. Being responsible applies to gun club membership just like it applies to everyday life.
Miss this event and you'll be missing a great day of shooting and fellowship, IMO.

The Swiss, of course, are a nation of drunkards and irrational people, right? Do you know how their ranges operate?
Look over here:
http://www.swissrifles.com/shooting/
Now, it's not my point to promote drinking and shooting together, but merely to point out that responsible people generally are responsible in all phases of life.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mike-Sid
I am not a member either, just a guest for their events. Nice place nice people, awesome eats!
By Hddreamer
Ok, maybe I came off the wrong way but so are you first I'm not trying to make it look like theres gonna be a bunch of drunks shooting into the wind , all I ment to say is your promoting this event for a charity there will be firearms there and they are telling you to bring your own booze
All I'm sayin is ,and this is of my opinion only is that I think it's improper to be mixin guns with booze anytime
And no , just cause you drive to the package store doesn't mean your gonna drink and drive but the thousands of people that do drink and drive where do you think they got it from ? So I guess a lot do
What I was trying to say is it only takes one and yes they could be drunk before they get there but I'm talkin about havin a good time without the drinking can't that be done? Can't you have a good time knowing your helping somebody that will never have opertunities like us can't that make you feel good instead of a bottle ?
Ok enough I can see this is just gonna get into a pissing match so I'll stop
I'm sorry if I pissed a few of you out there I have nothing against drinking just where it should take place so once again sorry if I offended anyone out there
Last edited by Hddreamer on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mike-Sid
You are entitled to your opinion! I just think it is silly :twisted:

oh well
By GixerJockey
So wait... My daughter can't drink and shoot? How am I supposed to explain that? Do you have any idea how painful it is to disappoint a 9 year old?
By Hddreamer
Well that didn't take long
It seems that if you have a 9 yr old daughter you would see what I was trying to say but I guess not
By GixerJockey
Hddreamer wrote:Well that didn't take long
It seems that if you have a 9 yr old daughter you would see what I was trying to say but I guess not
No, it's just the rediculousness of your original statement.

Your sarcasm meter appears to be on the fritz. Better get that checked out.

Think about it... You're obviously into the shooting sports. And I'm sure you realize what an uphill battle we as gun enthusiasts have sometimes. Any negative press our sport receives just makes it that much harder...

That being said, do you really think that there is a shooting business or club, anywhere, that would allow, and condone, actively mixing alcohol with shooting? Any private club I've ever experienced in my 20 plus years of being involved with the sport puts safety and good judgement above all else. Almost to a sometimes annoying fault. These places are run by enthusiasts that work very hard to preserve the integrity of the sport. So did you honestly believe that any group wold be so foolish as to promote drinking and shooting at the same time, at a PUBLIC event, before you went off on your rant? Or did you just find yourself standing on a soapbox and feel compelled to say something?
By JohnB
theres actually a sign on the range that says no alcohol...the range officers will ask anyone whos intoxicated to leave also, i can see your point hddreamer but the event isnt just aimed at shooting, theres also fishing and the majority of the people who go to this hang around..eat and drink like ctsixshot says..its actually a good day, hope to see you there, in fact if you show up i will buy you a soda :)
By CTSixshot
Okay.... as I pass the peace pipe...
See you folks there!
By newguy
Ya i saw tons of people fishing rather then shooting last fall i was kinda upset i didn't bring my fishing equipment there were some serious whoopers in there
By CTSixshot
Indeed... one member was saying they have to pay commercial hatcheries for the fish, since it's a private pond.
My understanding is that being a private pond, fishing season isn't an issue. I'm sure MRG members can fill in the exact details.
Good luck!
By Hddreamer
Ok last time as I said before im not saying it happens as a norm.
I'm not saying there are only a bunch of drunks there.
I DO respect everyone in the sporting community !
I have never been to this club and I have personal friends that are members there .
I'm not trying to piss anyone off
I was just saying byob?
Don't you think if anything it would have been better if it was controlled by someone
Maybe I seen it from a different view than what others do but that's what makes the world go round
As far as the media is concerned they would love to have a field day on this type of subject don't you think if there's gonna be an event at a gun club advetising BYOB should be kept out of it ? At least out of the invite ?
I have nothing against drinking I have nothing against ANY gun club and when I go to different ranges private or public I give everyone the most respect I know how to give
I wasn't saying anything about fishing I just focused about the range
I just don't like hearing about accidents happening because of booze
As far as this topic I'm done if you can't see my side sorry if you do or if you know me you would understand
Thanks
By GixerJockey
Understand what you are saying about BYOB. The issue is that it needs to be said. Meriden R&G doesn't have a bar or liquor license. That means that they can't sell, or regulate, the distribution of alcohol at any function. They need to post BYOB in case anyone is showing up expecting to be able to buy a beer, to have with dinner or after shooting, at the event.
By GreggAndrews
Listen up ladies,

No respectable gun club would allow:

1: Alcohol on the range
2: People who have been previously drinking alcohol on the range.

There aren't going to be any problems, the RO's are watching. They wouldn't hold an event like this if they predicted the shitstorm that people are thinking of (could you imagine the liability factor???)

Got it?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!