Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reports and information on local vendors.
By YeaItsSlo
Bought my very first gun from them.. Good place.
By sjcolwell2
I shoot regularly with a few of the guys over there. Great bunch of guys
By Mopar
OK, I'm hearing some crazy stuff about Riverview lately.

Multiple people are saying they are recording drivers license info with every ammo purchase. When asked about it they claimed they were required to do it under a new federal law. There is no such law.

Just today someone else said they would not sell him a gun because he had recently moved and both his permit and DL had the change of address stickers on them. Riverview claimed this was a DPS law and made the guy go back to DMV and get a replacement photo ID with his new address on it to complete the purchase. A call to DPS confirms there is no such law.

Now, let me start by saying I fully support a store's right to make up any crazy policy they want, especially when it comes to covering their butts against illegal purchases, since they are the ones that get's screwed. But, it's one thing to make it a published store policy so the consumer can decide if he agrees to do business under those terms or not. It's quite different to lie to the customers and tell them said store policies are actually laws, which implies they would have to endure the same procedures anywhere they shopped.
I for one will not tolerate that sort of treatment.
By magneton44
And the SAGA continues .... :lol: Stay away from the place...bad juju.. :lol:
By GreggAndrews
Mopar wrote:OK, I'm hearing some crazy stuff about Riverview lately.

Multiple people are saying they are recording drivers license info with every ammo purchase. When asked about it they claimed they were required to do it under a new federal law. There is no such law.

Just today someone else said they would not sell him a gun because he had recently moved and both his permit and DL had the change of address stickers on them. Riverview claimed this was a DPS law and made the guy go back to DMV and get a replacement photo ID with his new address on it to complete the purchase. A call to DPS confirms there is no such law.

Now, let me start by saying I fully support a store's right to make up any crazy policy they want, especially when it comes to covering their butts against illegal purchases, since they are the ones that get's screwed. But, it's one thing to make it a published store policy so the consumer can decide if he agrees to do business under those terms or not. It's quite different to lie to the customers and tell them said store policies are actually laws, which implies they would have to endure the same procedures anywhere they shopped.
I for one will not tolerate that sort of treatment.
Riverview is a good place, and the people I know working there are good people. However, I kind of want to know which of them is saying it is a law, & not store policy.

As of now, they're recording DL info when you purchase ammunition, this is because of a mishap that was beyond their control, and now the BATFE wants to beat them with the ugly stick.

It's not a law, it's a store policy. As far as I'm concerned, I will continue to shop at Riverview. I don't blame them for taking a few extra measures to prevent the almighty BATFE from cracking down on them harder than they already have.
By hayes1966
GreggAndrews wrote: Riverview is a good place, and the people I know working there are good people. However, I kind of want to know which of them is saying it is a law, & not store policy.

As of now, they're recording DL info when you purchase ammunition, this is because of a mishap that was beyond their control, and now the BATFE wants to beat them with the ugly stick.

It's not a law, it's a store policy. As far as I'm concerned, I will continue to shop at Riverview. I don't blame them for taking a few extra measures to prevent the almighty BATFE from cracking down on them harder than they already have.
http://archery.ar15.com/mobile/topic.ht ... 6&t=501010

After reading this story on several other forums, I will not support the store or this policy. They effed up and now are creating their own database of the public that has bought ammunition in their store. Based on the other posts you are more aware of the issue that started all this. I don't care about the issue, I don't have a problem showing my permit to buy ammo but I do have an issue when they want to take a copy of it when I buy ammo.

Greg, how many extra measures are you prepared to allow idiots like this to implement before it is full blown firearm registration ?
By GreggAndrews
hayes1966 wrote:
GreggAndrews wrote: Riverview is a good place, and the people I know working there are good people. However, I kind of want to know which of them is saying it is a law, & not store policy.

After reading this story on several other forums, I will not support the store or this policy. They effed up and now are creating their own database of the public that has bought ammunition in their store. Based on the other posts you are more aware of the issue that started all this. I don't care about the issue, I don't have a problem showing my permit to buy ammo but I do have an issue when they want to take a copy of it when I buy ammo.

Greg, how many extra measures are you prepared to allow idiots like this to implement before it is full blown firearm registration ?
Hayes, how did Riverview screw up? The store had NO way of knowing the buyer of the ammunition was not eligible to even possess it. The only stipulation is that you provide proof of age, and that is all. If they requested a pistol permit or hunting license to prove that someone has no felonies, DV charges, etc, a lot of people would again, say that it's not worth their time because it's infringing on their rights, etc. etc. etc. You may not have a problem with it, but I know others who would. No matter what someone could imagine doing, no-one would ever be satisfied.

I don't blame Riverview one bit for requesting info. They've gotten the wake-up call they don't deserve, due to the overzealous nature of our government. In better times, none of this would have happened. They want to stay in business.

If anything, the little scumbag who purchased the ammunition in full knowledge of his status should be the one on the line (again) here, not the retailer.

Every firearm you buy down there (or at any retailer) is kept on a 4473 & DPS forms. Why should ammunition be a concern at this point?
By hayes1966
GreggAndrews wrote:
hayes1966 wrote:

Hayes, how did Riverview screw up? The store had NO way of knowing the buyer of the ammunition was not eligible to even possess it. The only stipulation is that you provide proof of age, and that is all. If they requested a pistol permit or hunting license to prove that someone has no felonies, DV charges, etc, a lot of people would again, say that it's not worth their time because it's infringing on their rights, etc. etc. etc. You may not have a problem with it, but I know others who would. No matter what someone could imagine doing, no-one would ever be satisfied.

I don't blame Riverview one bit for requesting info. They've gotten the wake-up call they don't deserve, due to the overzealous nature of our government. In better times, none of this would have happened. They want to stay in business.

If anything, the little scumbag who purchased the ammunition in full knowledge of his status should be the one on the line (again) here, not the retailer.

Every firearm you buy down there (or at any retailer) is kept on a 4473 & DPS forms. Why should ammunition be a concern at this point?
I don't have an issue with them requesting the information, just storing it!

As for the store itself the owner should have been more on the ball considering the past issues he had with the ATF.

http://articles.courant.com/2007-06-15/ ... -hand-guns

You can feel free to buy your ammo, primers etc there. I will take my business elsewhere where my rights are not infringed.
By Highway-Magician
I find the 2nd to last entry interesting (back in 1997):

http://articles.courant.com/1997-04-24/ ... -charged/2

April 16

* David E. Laguercia, 40, of Agawam, Mass.: charged with carrying a dangerous weapon and having a weapon in a motor vehicle; accused of having a loaded .380-caliber handgun in his possession without a Connecticut permit to carry it when stopped for a motor-vehicle violation.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!