Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By Jason
Nifty, thanks
By sjcolwell2
I've seen this video on another forum (www.holstershock.com) it very cool, haven't been able to try it yet been way to busy. But I will !!!
By GreggAndrews
Don't get me wrong, it's a nifty idea... but it makes me a little nervous all the same. I'm not a huge proponent of mauling ammunition y'know...
By Mike-Sid
Great way to blow up your barrel!
By sjcolwell2
How would you blow up your barrel???
By LTB45
GreggAndrews wrote:Don't get me wrong, it's a nifty idea... but it makes me a little nervous all the same. I'm not a huge proponent of mauling ammunition y'know...
I dont like the idea either.-
By Mike-Sid
sjcolwell2 wrote:How would you blow up your barrel???
Try to cut the base of the shell off, and see it the upper part will pass through your barrel. Say you have a full choke.. can you be sure the upper part will squeeze through your barrel? Maybe you will just ring your barrel. Just sounds like a stupid idea. Spend 5 bucks for a box of slugs! Just my opinion.
By GreggAndrews
Spend 5 bucks for a box of slugs! Just my opinion.
YES!

Otherwise... you *might* get away with this idea, if you're shooting some grossly overbored shotgun. And that's a definitive maybe.

It's a very shaky proposition at best. Besides, aren't the Winchester Value Packs $8 for 15?
By jtf650
I have seen this effect countless times on the skeet field, especially with .410 reloads- the plastic hull weakens over time and can separate from the brass. They're called "whistlers" and are inadvertent, of course. No harm seems to be done, although it's always a good idea to check to be sure the hull isn't stuck in the barrel, but it never seems to be. So while I wouldn't do it on purpose except in some sort of dire emergency that I'm unable to envision, I don't think it poses any great threat to safety or the gun as long as the barrel is checked carefully after the shot.
By sjcolwell2
Yeah but when you watch the video it tells you to use a smooth barrel with out a choke. Anything else would mostlikely give you a problem. I know I wouldn't try it though a rifled slug barrel or a choke barrel.
By Mopar
Mike-Sid wrote:
sjcolwell2 wrote:How would you blow up your barrel???
Try to cut the base of the shell off, and see it the upper part will pass through your barrel. Say you have a full choke.. can you be sure the upper part will squeeze through your barrel? Maybe you will just ring your barrel. Just sounds like a stupid idea. Spend 5 bucks for a box of slugs! Just my opinion.
How would it be any different then shooting that $5 box of slugs through the same full-choked barrel? Just wondering.....
By GreggAndrews
We're talking about the hull, and the shot load passing through the bore (particularly concerning the muzzle).

Take the relative thickness of the hull material, multiply it by two, and then add it to the total diameter of the projectile/payload.

I'm not very confident in forcing all of that material to compress & pass through the muzzle without some kind of eventual rupture.
By Mopar
I'm not disagreeing, but it doesnt sound like it would be any different then slugs. Slugs might be worse, since they are 1-2 thousands bigger then a standard shotgun bore so they can engage the rifling. Then they hit that choke........ if a lead slug compresses enough, it seems that the plastic hull should too. Or not.
By GreggAndrews
Slugs might be worse, since they are 1-2 thousands bigger then a standard shotgun bore so they can engage the rifling. Then they hit that choke........ if a lead slug compresses enough, it seems that the plastic hull should too. Or not.
The problem is, rifled slug barrels taper very, very slightly towards the muzzle; not to the degree a choke does. That, and you're pretty much limited to sabots unless you're a jackass like me and like to lead up your bore. :lol:

Conventional foster/brenneke slugs work nicely from a smoothbore, anything tighter than an I/C or Modified will deform the slug upon exit, and you'll lose accuracy (if not stretch the muzzle where the choke tubes screw in).

Now, I definitely see where you're coming from. But asking a shot cup, the contents of it, AND the hull to pass through a choke? Ehhh... really pushing our luck here.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!