Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Information related to your local club.
By Soulcrusher
As you can see I am located in Norwalk down in the Southwest part of the state so Wooster is a only about a 20 minute ride for me. I looked through here and I noticed most of you guys are way North of me down here. I was just interested to see if any of you ever shoot there. It is noting special but it is cheap and the rangemasters are always polite and pleasant.
Another question you guys might be able to answer. Are there any shooting clubs here in Connecticut recognised by CMP? I have a C&R license so the only other requirement I need to fullfill to be able to order from them is to be a member of a recognised shooting club. I know I can just join any but I would like to if I can join one that I could actually be a part of rather than just hand over $30 bucks to someone and get nothing out of it.

Michael
By CTSixshot
Several years back I went over there to see what it was about. It was $15 for the day, I believe; another $5 for the target stand rental, if needed. It seemed decent enough, but it's not my closest facility.
I'm not that well-versed on the CMP affiliated clubs, but ask any of the clubs you find, they should know what the deal is. I think most clubs that have centerfire rifle ranges meet the requirements, but don't take my word on that.
By Mopar
Soulcrusher wrote:Another question you guys might be able to answer. Are there any shooting clubs here in Connecticut recognised by CMP? I have a C&R license so the only other requirement I need to fullfill to be able to order from them is to be a member of a recognised shooting club. I know I can just join any but I would like to if I can join one that I could actually be a part of rather than just hand over $30 bucks to someone and get nothing out of it.

Michael
The CMP has a list of clubs with open membership HERE
There are more that have a limited or closed membership. If you belong to a club or would like to join one that isnt on the list that maybe should be (Stratford Gun Collectors Association comes to mind. Surprised they are not on the list. WLOPA is another.) it's $30/yr to be an affiliated club.
Personally, I joined the Connecticut State Rifle & Revolver Association to fufill my CMP obligation. Never been to a meeting, but at least I know some of my dues go to support the shooting sports in CT.
By Soulcrusher
Thanks for the replies. Wooster is nice to shoot at. $20 bucks and you can stay as long as you want no time limit. Or in my case shooting WWII mil-surps until my shoulder starts to get a bit numb! Those Mosin M44 carbines have a pretty mean kick and the Mauser 98K is no love tap either.

Mopar I did lok over the list and I guess I found the same thing you did. There are no CMP shooting clubs in our area. I might just go with you suggestion and join the one you are a member of. The money spend on the club does open up the ability for us to purchase Garands at a very resonable price so in the end we do get our money back.

Michael
By CTSixshot
See, there is a reason for reduced loads in some of the mil-surps. Why not shoot all day and spare the sore shoulder after 20 rounds?
By Mopar
I have a CMP garand, and a CMP M1 carbine as well. Best deal going if you can stand the wait, LOL. Same with the ammo. They are usually the best price on ammo for the garand and carbine, just need to order a few months before you need it.
By dgallag339
I know this is an old thread but wanted to say a group of us (5) visited Wooster Mountain last Sunday and although it was packed (we left High Rock to go there) they got us on two table pretty quickly (less than 15 minutes) it was 15 bucks a man (for as long as you like) plus $5 to rent a stand and we were there for 2.5 hours. This weekend starts there abbreviated weekend schedule, for instance they are only open tomorrow 1200-1500 and I believe each weekend they alternate days open until spring.
Just my two cents.
By hayes1966
If you have to wait an hour to get on the range why don't you check out New Departure in Wallingford (next to Oakdale). It costs about $85 a year (not sure what the exact dues are) to join the club. You must be a member of the NRA, no guests and no work time.

Not a lot of people know about the place and never a lot of people there.
By sikocycles
hayes1966 wrote:If you have to wait an hour to get on the range why don't you check out New Departure in Wallingford (next to Oakdale). It costs about $85 a year (not sure what the exact dues are) to join the club. You must be a member of the NRA, no guests and no work time.

Not a lot of people know about the place and never a lot of people there.
Where can we get membership info?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!