Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
Why do they need the SSN, please send an email to Mr Jespen asking to explain the change?

Thank you

The following is an email I sent to the AG office.

Sir,

I noticed the new form for DPS-799-c (http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_l ... -799-c.pdf) removed the word “OPTIONAL” from under the social security number.

Can you explain why I am now required to provide such information? What law was amended that now makes this information both necessary and mandatory on an application for a pistol permit?

Furthermore I would like to point to this site http://cga.ct.gov/2008/ACT/PA/2008PA-00 ... 658-PA.htm in particular

(b) Any person who collects Social Security numbers in the course of business shall create a privacy protection policy which shall be published or publicly displayed. For purposes of this subsection, "publicly displayed" includes, but is not limited to, posting on an Internet web page. Such policy shall: (1) Protect the confidentiality of Social Security numbers, (2) prohibit unlawful disclosure of Social Security numbers, and (3) limit access to Social Security numbers.

I do not see any such policy published on DPS site.

Recently there was a data breach at Midstate Medical Center in Meriden where my medical information and social security number were released. I am very concerned about the collection of social security numbers in particular. Both Meriden and New Haven Police departments now require this information as part of the permit application process but neither have provided any information as to how they comply with Public Act 08-167.

Sincerely,

John Hayes
By Jason
Thanks for sending that to them.

Lots of people have minor identity theft issues, typically due to a waiter or similar copying a credit card.

Few people have SSN related identity theft - and when it happens you can be well and royally screwed. No one should ever submit to providing their SSN to an organization which has no legal right to it.
By hayes1966
Exactly. The DPS looses paperwork all the time and now they want this. Some of the forms I have here are from 2007 and the work OPTIONAL was under the SSN.

I saw this on the additional paperwork that New Haven and Meriden requests.
By Rich_B
hayes1966 wrote: I saw this on the additional paperwork that New Haven and Meriden requests.
All additional paperwork is strictly optional and applicants need to be educated into not supplying anything other than the state minimums during the application process.
By hayes1966
Rich_B wrote:
hayes1966 wrote: I saw this on the additional paperwork that New Haven and Meriden requests.
All additional paperwork is strictly optional and applicants need to be educated into not supplying anything other than the state minimums during the application process.
Correct. But the state form also asked for the SSN. It was only when I saw the Meriden/New Haven requirements that I reviewed the latest state forms.
By Rich_B
hayes1966 wrote:Correct. But the state form also asked for the SSN. It was only when I saw the Meriden/New Haven requirements that I reviewed the latest state forms.
Many state forms ask for SSN. Don't provide it if you are not comfortable supplying it.
By GreggAndrews
Many state forms ask for SSN. Don't provide it if you are not comfortable supplying it.
As if the state didn't know your SSN to begin with...
By Rich_B
GreggAndrews wrote:
Why/how would they know it if you didn't give it to them? The state has nothing to do with SSNs.
By Mopar
Rich_B wrote:
GreggAndrews wrote:
Why/how would they know it if you didn't give it to them? The state has nothing to do with SSNs.
No? Try and get a legit job without providing your SS#. Then, after you've worked a year, try finding out the status of your CT state income tax return without supplying the state your SS#. They won't even discuss it without comparing the number you tell them with your records.
By GreggAndrews
No? Try and get a legit job without providing your SS#. Then, after you've worked a year, try finding out the status of your CT state income tax return without supplying the state your SS#. They won't even discuss it without comparing the number you tell them with your records.

Finally. Common sense. :)
By hayes1966
Regardless of why they ask for it I want to know why the word "OPTIONAL" was removed from the form, under what law and what safeguards are in place to protect that information?
By GreggAndrews
under what law and what safeguards are in place to protect that information?
I can understand that concern. Not everybody wants to just give out their SSN, and with good reason.

An SSN likely expedites the paperwork involved just a little bit. One more piece of information they have to hunt down I suppose; but that's just my take on it.
By nvisn
008-67-5309. That is my friends social. Her name is Jenny.
By newguy
Hate to say but S&S numbers are the most easily gotten under a fake name thing to get your hands on how do ya think all the illegals get jobs here
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!