Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By nvisn
So I have a 6 going on 7 year old Godson that is dying to go shooting. My grandpa thought me on my Red Rider and his .22 bolt when I was about that age. Any advice to give me as a mentor?

I have a 10/22 he will learn on.
By hayes1966
Refer back to the training materials you received when taking your permit class. I would a lot of time on safety.

Set up some balloons as targets not too far away but focus on the safety between shots. The balloons popping will be a thrill for the child.
By nvisn
Thanks for the tip!
By Mopar
Pick him up a BB gun first. No noise, no recoil. You can teach him safety with it in the back yard or basement instead of the noisy shooting range.
By Mopar
Oh, and there is no set age, it depends on the maturity level of the kid. 6 might be fine. John Moses Browning (PBUH) starting working in his father's gun shop at age six, and building his own guns from scratch by the time he was 10. Some kids just might not be ready to comprehend the dangers until they are 10. Depends on the kid.
By nvisn
+1 on the BB gun. I think I got his xmas gift all lined up!
By Mopar
nvisn wrote:+1 on the BB gun. I think I got his xmas gift all lined up!
Might wanna clear that gift with his parents first, and/or tell him that you'll keep it in the safe with your other guns for safekeeping for now.
By nvisn
I'd only end up selling it...
By Mopar
How much? LOL!
By hayes1966
nvisn wrote:+1 on the BB gun. I think I got his xmas gift all lined up!
Make sure you include a set of safety glasses too!
By Mopar
and hearing protection. I know it's not needed for air rifle (barely needed for .22 rifle) but I like to get them in the habit right from the start. I think it also helps to move the BB gun from the "toy" category into the "gun" category. This is a gun just like a grownup's gun, and we wear proper safety gear when we shoot it.
By nvisn
Good ideas both of you. Thanks
By Woody
If you've got extra mags for the 10/22 set each one up with a single bullet in each one during the initial training. This will alleviate any "excitement" shots, after the aimed shot, as well as the inevitable "turning with the gun" misfires! I think the 10/22 is a great beginner gun, and the bb guns will allow for practice at home when there isn't time to go to the range. The safety aspect depends on the trainer. My daughter began at ten, only because that's when
I got my license. She is safety conscious, as a result of my harping on her as well as those I choose to shoot with and the relentlessness of the range officers at my two clubs. It's a great sport for kids, and they'll do
It well if they're trained well. Might I also suggest at some point, the Appleseed project. It's a great program for anyone, and they wave the course fees for kids and women. Good luck!
By newguy
Ya gotta remember the Christmas story your gonna shoot your eye out kid I know my mom had a fit when my dad bought me a BB gun :lol:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!