Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Announcements
By ketel1
Just FYI. For those who need to renew your permit... THE TROOP G (Bridgeport) PERMIT OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED FOR BUSINESS AS OF 8/11/11. ALL OTHER TROOP PERMIT OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 10/1/11.

Taken off the DPS website. So it looks like after Oct. your only gonna be able to renew at.... Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU) main office at State Police Headquarters, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT

Does this sound correct??? Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks Mr. Malloy.
By ElMar
Wow, I wonder if this will eventually allow online or mail in renewal.

Seems like that is the direction the state is heading in for everything else.
By hayes1966
ElMar wrote:Wow, I wonder if this will eventually allow online or mail in renewal.

Probably not with this. They want to make it as difficult as possible for people to renew.
By bizkitjmd1
Are they still allowing new permits to be picked up at Troop G?
By Mopar
hayes1966 wrote:
ElMar wrote:Wow, I wonder if this will eventually allow online or mail in renewal.

Probably not with this. They want to make it as difficult as possible for people to renew.
Mail in renewal went into law last session.

Pistol Permit Renewals
Ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of your permit, the issuing authority will mail out a renewal letter to your last known address. The law requires that you notify the issuing authority within 48 hours of changing your address. Upon receipt of the renewal letter you can proceed to either the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU) main office at State Police Headquarters, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT or a satellite location set up at Troop G in Bridgeport to process your renewal. Effective October 1, 2011 per Public Act 11-186 you may also mail in your renewals. Instructions for renewal by mail can be obtained in the link below. If you appear in person an updated photo and your signature will be collected. You are required to bring positive photo identification with you. Directions to these facilities and business hours are posted below. The cost of renewing a state pistol permit is $70.00 payable to the Treasuer, State of Connecticut in the form of a check or money order. Applicants must provide that they are legally and lawfully in the United States, such as a birth certificate, U.S. Passport or Naturalization papers. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Please use link for additional instructions: DPS-769-C Instructions to Applicants & Photo Pistol Permit Schedule http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_l ... -769-c.pdf
[/i]
By GreggAndrews
It's just a change in management. Various State Police Troops will be open to Pistol Permit renewals on certain days of the year, with the DPS HQ being open year-round.

They're not INTENTIONALLY making it harder, it's a cost-cutting decision & saves the State money (where it will be spent feeding those leaching on welfare).

If anything, the problems lie with municipal PD's when getting pistol permits. The State generally is very nice about it... almost helpful.
By Mopar
GreggAndrews wrote:It's just a change in management. Various State Police Troops will be open to Pistol Permit renewals on certain days of the year, with the DPS HQ being open year-round.
Where did you get that information? It doesn't jive with the DPS website:
http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=21 ... 8&dpsNav=|

NOTICE: TROOP C, D, E, and L PERMIT OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 10/1/11.
By GreggAndrews
IIRC, A majority of the Troops would be open certain days for pistol permits. I highly doubt they're closing down almost all of them PERMANENTLY. There are certain days in the year you can go to the troops & apply for your permit/renew. No, it's not EVERY DAY.

Troop G, if I recall was open year-round as the DPS HQ is. Just because they're cutting ONE troop, doesn't mean that they're intentionally making it more difficult.

Likewise, with the mail-in renewal they've made it that much easier for someone to renew their permit. Or, if they wanted to be the fascist pigs everyone wants to portray them as, they could've closed all locations but one down, and made it so freakin' difficult to renew it that a lot of people would be driven away.
By Mopar
GreggAndrews wrote:IIRC, A majority of the Troops would be open certain days for pistol permits. I highly doubt they're closing down almost all of them PERMANENTLY. There are certain days in the year you can go to the troops & apply for your permit/renew. No, it's not EVERY DAY.

Troop G, if I recall was open year-round as the DPS HQ is. Just because they're cutting ONE troop, doesn't mean that they're intentionally making it more difficult.
Not to sound like a dick, but again, show us *where* DPS says the various troops will be open for permits on a rotating basis. The DPS website says they are *closing* the firearm permit offices of all troops except G. They sent out a press release saying the same thing.
Originally G was supposed to close for permits as well, but me as well as others I'm sure complained that renewal by mail is fine, but you still need to do your initial application in person. Someone living in say Greenwich would have to drive 3-4hrs total to apply at Middletown. That's an unreasionable barrier to getting a permit, so I guess they decided to keep G (Bridgeport) open to service the southern part of the state.
By GreggAndrews
No, you don't sound like a prick, and that's not how I hope I came off as.

But generally speaking, most, if not all of the Troops were open during certain days of the year to renew your permit. If I remember correctly, Troop B did these as well on certain days. I remember looking through this stuff with my stepfather when he's had to renew his permit.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!