Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Training related discussions.
Combat Focus Shooting / Advanced Pistol Handling with Rob Pincus in Westford, MA 7/15/11 - 7/17/11

The Combat Focus Shooting Program is an intuitive shooting program designed by Rob Pincus to work efficiently with the body's natural reactions during a dynamic critical incident. Unlike many traditional programs, CFS does not take a purely mechanical approach to shooting training in isolation from the context in which the skill must be used. CFS is not simply "point shooting," it is a training methodology that leads to more efficient defensive shooting skill.

Combat Focus Shooting is the core program of the I.C.E. Training Company and is being taught by certified instructors around the United States and Europe. CFS has been successfully integrated into various military and law enforcement training programs and is the most efficient way for anyone interested defensive firearms skills to develop their abilities.

This 3 day program combines the curriculum of the Combat Focus Shooting Course with much of the Two Day Advanced Pistol Handling Program into one 1700+ rnd course. In addition to exploring the principles and fundamentals of the Combat Focus Program and numerous drills to help students develop a better understanding of the Balance between Speed & Precision, this course will cover the techniques of 360 degree presentation from the holster, one handed (strong & weak) weapons handling, unorthodox shooting positions and much more. This course can be taught at any square range and will also expose students to making the most out of any range session to keep tactical pistol training in context!

COMBAT FOCUS SHOOTING

The Combat Focus Shooting Program is an Intuitive shooting program designed to help th student be more Efficient with a defensive firearm in the context of a Dynamic Critical Incident.

This course is usually two full days of intense training, teaching and practice. The course will cover the following topics:

Fundamentals of Defensive Shooting & Intuitive Skill Development
Combat Accuracy
Lateral Motion
The Balance of Speed & Precision
The Critical Incident Reload
Volume of Fire
Realistic Training for Multiple Target Engagement
Understanding the Body’s Natural Reactions during a Dynamic Critical Incident.
The Skill Development Cycle
One Handed & Weak Handed Shooting
Non-Diagnostic Linear Malfunction Clearing
Shooting in Motion (When, How & Why)

The Combat Focus Shooting Course is not designed to make you the best shooter you can be on the range, rather its goal is to help you quickly develop fundamental skills that you can apply in a worst case scenario defensive shooting situation.

CFS is based on years of constantly evolving information about how the body works and what really happens during Dynamic Critical Incidents and has been heavily influenced by the diverse group of instructors that are certified to teach it and the thousands of students who have been through courses all around the world. The program features a variety of specialty drills and training methods that the student will be able to utilize in the their own practice after the course in order to continue to develop their abilities.

ADVANCED PISTOL HANDLING

The Advanced Pistol Handling course is designed to expand the circumstances and conditions under which a student can apply the skills developed in the Combat Focus Shooting Course. This course will cover:

Non-Diagnostic Linear Malfunction Drills
One handed & Weak Handed Reloads
One Handed & Weak Handed Malfunction Drills
Presentation from the holster in 360 degrees
Unorthodox Shooting Positions (grounded, seated)
Shooting Around Cover
Unreasonable Distance Shooting
Volume of Fire
The Balance of Speed & Precision

The APH Course is designed as a follow on for students who have completed fundamental defensive shooting training in the CFS Program and want to expand their skill sets and increase competency. At the end of the course, the student will have been exposed to (and practiced) shooting positions from all plausible angles while standing, seated, kneeling, prone or supine as well as properly shooting around cover in order to maximize its protective value. Students will also train one handed firearm handling, reloading and malfunction clearing. Unlike the CFS Program, in APH students will be forced to deal with a variety of malfunctions in a way that is congruent with the conditions of an dynamic critical incident.

The APH course is an intense physically and mentally challenging course that will take any students confidence and ability to defend themselves with a gun to a higher level.

ROB PINCUS BIO

Formerly the Director of Operations at the Valhalla Training Center, Rob has been a trainer and consultant in various combative fields for many years and is the developer of the Combat Focus Shooting Program. His background in military, law enforcement, executive protection and recreational shooting gives him a broad experience base. Rob's specialty is progressive reality based training and fitting the fundamentals into the context of his diverse students' environments.

At the end of 2007, when Valhalla's ownership decided to make the venue more exclusive, Rob established I.C.E. Training Company.

His courses emphasize EFFICIENCY and what really works during critical incidents, not what looks good on the square range or sounds good in court or in a classroom. Rob's ideas on training & tactics have been shared all around the world through his role as a writer and Training Consultant with S.W.A.T. Magazine as well as lectures and courses throughout the United States and Europe.

Rob's Personal Defense Video Series, covering armed and unarmed defense, has shipped over 1 million copies. [/u][/b]
By snakeeater332
Unfortunately, this class, and the same class to be held in Boylston, MA (7/11/11-7/13/11), are currently full. However, Rob Pincus is holding just a Combat Focus Shooting class sponsored by GOAL (Gun Owner's Action League) at the Franklin County Sportsman's Club, 721 River Rd, Deerfield, MA from 7/9/11-7/10/11 that still shows is open for enrollment ($420), see the following link if you're interested:

http://www.combatfocusshooting.com/calendar/view/94

I'm attending the CFS/APH class in Westford, MA. Is anyone from here planning on attending any one of these classes?
By snakeeater332
I'm packing up and preparing to head up to MA tomorrow afternoon for this class. I'm getting psyched! Gonna be a lot of fun! :D
By GreggAndrews
Christ, I wish I could go to these things.

Have fun though!!!
By snakeeater332
Thanks Andrew! I'll keep you updated and post an AAR after I've completed the class. We start this morning and I'm fired up!
By JohnFH
Christ, I wish I could go to these things.
You can. You just need to have someone transport your firearm. The schools is private property just like borrowing a firearm at Harwinton.

There is no age limit for the NRA Basic Pistol Course either, and once you take it, it is good for life.
By GreggAndrews
Problem: I can't own a handgun (because at an age under 21, I am a danger to everybody, including myself).

Solution: Keep telling myself I'm 21 and it'll come true. :lol:

(Likewise, I'm not sure they'd be entirely thrilled if I were to show up with a brace of percussion revolvers) :wink:
By GreggAndrews
Bah, I know better. Just messing around a bit.

But in either case, I'd like to think a .44 percussion revolver is more "tactical" than any semi-auto would be. Think about it... not only can they put big holes in things, but you get a smokescreen for an easy escape!!!

FOOLPROOF!!! :D
By snakeeater332
This class was outstanding! I highly recommend Rob Pincus and Combat Focus Shooting to anyone who actively carries or owns a handgun, whether for CCW or HD, or if you are an armed professional (LEO, military, or other).

Combat Focus Shooting trains you to respond to counter-ambush/critical incident based upon the natural human reaction to surprise/stimulus where deadly force with a firearm may be required. Rob has done a ton of research and he is an articulate and intelligent instructor who also does an excellent job explaining the how and why he came to the conclusions upon which he bases his methodology like no one else I've ever trained with before. I will definitely be looking to take more classes with Rob in the future.

I will try to complete an AAR for this class in the next few days.
By GreggAndrews
I'm glad you had fun!!! These also sound like a GREAT way to hone (or refine) skills, and I'd definitely give these a shot if the opportunity presented itself.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!