Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Shooting the old style way
By GreggAndrews
Howdy everyone, anyway I just got onto the forum and am happy to say that I'm a gun nut that lives in CT. Anyway, I happen to enjoy black powder guns, and I had a couple quick questions.

Now, I'm only 18yrs of age (so no "real" handguns, can't even get one of the permits), but the 1851 Colt Navy (.36 steel frame) and my 1858 Remington (steel frame again) I bought at Cabela's were purchased by me, and only me. Therefore, I believe it is indeed legal to own them... but my issue stands with, can I take them off of my property to shoot? Or would I still need the State Pistol Permit? I have family out in Cornwall with land I go shooting on, but I'm not entirely sure if it is legal for me to bring my BP handguns over.

Likewise, if I purchased the Kirst Converter (or R&D converter) to fit to one of my wheelie guns, would I legally be in the right (as technically I "manufactured" it) or would I be outside of legal bounds (not 21/no pistol permit)?

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but I'm still rooting my way around here. Thanks in advance everybody.

-Andrew. :D
By JohnFH
Your blackpowder is exempt under federal law.

If you convert anything centerfire, you will need a permit to be legal
By GreggAndrews
That's what I thought. Last thing I would want to do is irritate our friends in gray.

Anyway, thank you very much.
By hayes1966
JohnFH wrote:Your blackpowder is exempt under federal law.

If you convert anything centerfire, you will need a permit to be legal
A permit is only required to buy a firearm and carry. The atf do not require one to make a firearm.
By GreggAndrews
hayes, that's completely true... but I'm not sure exactly where I stand with CT laws in particular.

If anything, even if I did convert it... I don't think anyone would bug me, as long as I didn't dare take it off of my property, and not make a point of " Hey everybody, I've got a pistol!!!". Again... the word of a former CSP instructor.

This being said, I'd never be able to shoot the thing...
By JohnB
for the sake of a couple of years wait (i know it seems like a lifetime) to risk loosing it before you get it, forever..i wouldnt do anything "grey area" just enjoy the BP pistols as they are and start saving up cash and start plotting as to what to spend it all on for when the 21 day comes :)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!