Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By SR9
Any SKS shooters here?

I picked one up(Yugo M59/66) and would appreciate some input on ammo. I was thinking Yugo surplus but there is a lot of Herters, Brown Bear and Wolf out there as well. Any I should stay away from? Any that is preferred?

Thanks
By CTSixshot
Personally, everything shoots out of my SKS.
From a storage standpoint alone, I have found the Silver Bear (zinc-plated steel cases, I believe) tend to oxidize rather quickly and develope a white powdery film. They still shoot ok, but I'd treat this ammo as last in-first out.
As you know, the grenade launcher sight lock button also serves as a gas-port switching device, so leave the button to the right (that is at 3 o'clock with sight locked in stow mode) to fire as a semi-auto. Unlock the sight and you have a bolt-action rifle.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CTSixshot
See the "Red Tiger" (I think he means Golden Tiger...?, which is excellent fodder) ad above in "Buy/Sell/Trade"...
1000 rounds at $175 is the lowest price on ammoengine.com and you aren't paying shipping.
http://ctshooting.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=3326
We expect to see you at Mattabasset this Saturday with your Yugo for the pinshoot (0900 hours).
By CTSixshot
I'll have ample x39, since several friends will be using my Yugo at the match. You can take what you need and give me like amount later, if needed. Stripper clips available for use, too. (You can find these reasonably on Sportsmansguide and others.)
Contact nyalex98 and see if he's going up; he is in your hamlet.
By SR9
Sounds good, I have to check in with my other half to be sure there is nothing planned for me for tomorrow before I can commit.

We are preparing for her imminent hip surgery in 2 weeks so I never know what my weekends will be like.

I would like to go.
By CTSixshot
Roger that.
This range only has two public rifle/pistol events per month, so it's another month before the centerfire rifle pin and pistol steel plate match. The 4th Saturday is usually a .22 rimfire match.

http://mattabassett.com/events.htm
By CTSixshot
Well, I usually go to save others the humiliation of last place. This was about the deal Sunday, although I one won relay by default (the other shooter hit the red pin down out of order).
My friend shot the SKS and it was flawless in operation. We had Wolf and a few other generic brands of ammo. I shot the Hakim and it worked well, too. We just don't hit much very regularly!
They did throw us a curve and made this match a 2-gun event. Luckily I had the .45 along with an extra box of ammo in my stash. We didn't hit much with that either!
By SR9
CTSixshot wrote:Well, I usually go to save others the humiliation of last place. This was about the deal Sunday, although I one won relay by default (the other shooter hit the red pin down out of order).
My friend shot the SKS and it was flawless in operation. We had Wolf and a few other generic brands of ammo. I shot the Hakim and it worked well, too. We just don't hit much very regularly!
They did throw us a curve and made this match a 2-gun event. Luckily I had the .45 along with an extra box of ammo in my stash. We didn't hit much with that either!
Looks like it would have been a battle for last if I had shown up. I don't do enough rifle to be all that good. I have a Hakim too. Shot it at high rock back in June. Fun but pretty heavy and loud. It's presence attracted a few interested in what it was. I need some 8mm Mouser too as soon as the budget will allow.

Sounds like it was a good time.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!