Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Training related discussions.
By equality72521
Hey all:

Here are the latest Appleseed events lined up for CT! If you need more info about Appleseed and their marksmanship program, have a look at this recent blog post by Massad Ayoob.

Pre-Registration is highly recommended. Follow the links below for more information and how to register for each event:

Lebanon Appleseed - Mar 26/27, 2011
Event Information | Registration

Lebanon Appleseed - April 16/17, 2011

Colebrook Appleseed - April 16/17, 2011

Chaplin Appleseed - May 28, 2011 (One Day Appleseed)

Hartford Appleseed - June 4-5, 2011

Chaplin Appleseed - June 18/19, 2011

Schedule of Appleseed Events Nationwide

What To Know Before Attending an Appleseed

PM or post here with questions. You can also become a fan of "Project Appleseed in CT" on Facebook to get updates on CT events and news. Or follow them on Twitter @CTAppleseed.

Thanks and hope to see you at one of the Appleseed events!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
Last edited by equality72521 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
By PaiN
Okay ...who's going? when? and which one?

If you're going what are you planning to shoot?
By PaiN
SR9 wrote:I am planning on the July 31 event in Colebrook. I will bring my new Marlin 795SS with tech sights.
PM sent
By equality72521
I'll be at Colebrook on Saturday only. Most bring .22s, and I'll have mine with me. Some bring centerfire rifles. I have a new Rock River on order - hope it comes in by then. They always have .22 loners as well, so you can show up without a gun too. If Fred is there, he'll have ammo for sale at cost.

Colebrook is great because the NWCSA serve these famous sausage patties at lunch. When I went to Hartford last time, "Chuckwagon" (Jason, president of NWCSA) brought Moose chili (made from a real moose he bagged in Maine) that was to die for. Looking forward to the food as much as the shooting!!! :lol:
By PaiN
I'll soon have the rifle.....Any recommendations on a sling? I have a couple of standard 1" nylons around....or is there something better to use?

tx
By equality72521
Appleseed teaches the use of a traditional USGI sling in both the "Deliberate" and "Hasty" sling techniques. You can get by with just about any sling, but you will get the most out of an Appleseed if you follow along with a plain ole USGI sling. I bought one directly from the Appleseed Store - it's the real deal, a reasonable cost, and supports a good cause:

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.co ... 0&cat_id=0

Note, the USGI sling is 1-1/4" - make sure you have swivels that can accommodate. 1-1/4" distributes the pressure better than 1". However, Deliberate with an 1-1/4" sling still makes my arm go numb after a while - a 1" sling would probably be akin to a tourniquet.
Also, Quick-Release swivels are a must in my opinion. You are constantly popping the sling on and off the rifle all day long. You leave the sling attached to your arm. Without Quick-Release swivels you will have to leave the sling attached to the rifle and spend time getting in and out of it.
By mikeyama
what are the chances of being able to participate if you weren't able to get in while registration was open?
By equality72521
I asked the CT State Coordinator and he said that they will go out of their way to accommodate walkons so long as it is safe to do so (room on the line, adequate instructor coverage, etc). He said there is always some level of no-show for those that pre-register and he's never had to turn away a walkon yet. However, it is first-come first-served on a space available basis. You are welcome to come and observe, and if there is room on the line they will be happy to slot you in.
By PaiN
I'm extremely happy with my pick for use as a practice and liberty training rifle. I went with the Marlin 795 and Tech-Sights, this setup is an unreal bargain which out shoots and out handles any stock 10/22 I've ever used.
First total cost: (I found the rifle NIB on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods, the prices include shipping, tax and all rebates)
Marlin 795= $85, Tech-Sights=$75, (2)extra 10r mags=$41, web sling(not in pics)=$15
total= $216

By equality72521
Perfect! Now get yourself 1000 rounds of ammo and come out the next Appleseed!

Only recommendation: Make sure you have 4 mags min. AQTs are 40 rounds under time pressure.
By fprintf
Saturday in Simsbury was a blast, lots of people went from shotgun groups to tight groups in the first few hours of instruction. Many of us are waking up a little sore and tight from all the time in prone but boy is it worth it.

BTW, my son and I have a pair of 795s and we love them. Inexpensive, generally reliable (we each had a FTE yesterday for the first time ever) and way more accurate than we are at this point.

I second the recommendation for the cotton GI websling. I bought ours from Tech-Sights at the same time I ordered the sights, but you can also get them from the Appleseed store. Finally, the recommendation on 4 mags is spot on. Between my son and I we have 6 mags - not quite enough to do the quick AQT (40 rounds in 4 minutes) so we'll have to figure something out for today.
By PaiN
Crap :( I thought 3 mags was what was needed so I only bought two extra(which just came in the mail)..now I have to find another.

As for the sling, here's the truth.... I'm on and off the fence on getting one....I am familiar with position rifle shooting, I feel fairly steady without support standing and very solid in a mid or prone where I can "prop" my arms. In addition if unsupported I have a method I use with the standard sling that is super quick and easy, that nicely stabilizes the rifle. I was practicing last night in stand, sit, kneel positions and it works fine(as usual). The web-sling seems like a waste. That said, Wally-World has the The Remington Outdoor Connection Super Sling 2+ for ~$16.00...If I decided to buy a sling for Appleseed this one will work, right?
By equality72521
The instructors will try to work with any equipment you have, however, they teach specific sling techniques with a USGI sling for standing, sitting, and prone. You probably already have a good working knowledge of positional shooting, and I'd come with whatever sling you have, but keep an open mind when they demonstrate the sling techniques, especially Deliberate - there might be some new nuggets of info in there for you to assimilate.
Keep in mind though, sling techniques is just one small piece of the training - there's so much more to learn at an Appleseed. I wouldn't dwell too much on which sling you bring.
Also, don't tell him I said this, but if Fred is there he usually has a stack of slings - if you want to try before you buy, he'd probably let you, so long as you already had 1-1/4" swivels.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!