Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By tom941
ArmsMonkey, the only relevance to
'low number" i have found regarding the Springfield 1903 is that rifles with serial #'s below 800,000 are dangerous to shoot due a glitch in the steel forging process that can cause catastrophic receiver failure. I am still in the process of looking into this, and strongly advise you to also, if you're not already aware of this.
By CTSixshot
Some members that have "low-numbered" 03s will be able to help you out.
As a reloader, I'd think the worst you could do is shoot reduced loads: cast bullets are a hoot with light charges (plenty of trigger time for much less dollars).
Many shoot standard loads out of their l-n 03s, as I recall them stating.
By Hermes
I have a low number 1903, and have had no problems with it. I shoot Prvi 30-06 (both 150 and 180gr) almost exclusively in it.

A good summary of the problem is here:
http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

For me, I don't feel that the low number 1903's are any more risky than any other 100-year-old firearm, if you get one that has been regularly used. I bought mine from someone who I know shot it regularly when he owned it. Over the 100 years which the firearm has been used, if it would have failed due to improper manufacturing, it would have happened already. Now, the only danger is that it's just plain old. So I do carefully keep it oiled and make sure there is no rust or other corrosion on it, as any such thing could potentially weaken the metal.
By newguy
Alot of the low number 1903's they drilled a gas release hole on side of receiver just have to make sure it doesn't get crapped up with powder.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!