Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
It seems as of lately our own fellow gun members have been gouging prices just like Cheaper than Dirt etc.
Does the price gouging only apply to places like Cheaper than dirt or our own fellow shooters? Or is there a diference?
Supply and demmand is the key here but i dont see noone boycotting sellers.

Just my .02
By Bigeast
Some dumba** has a mini-14 for sale in the classifieds and was asking $1200.

Oh wait, that was me. Here are my thoughts on price gouging.

I have nearly every weapon I want/need with several duplicated. The one void in my safe is a long range .308 caliber rifle. My first opportunity to buy an M1A was at a value so low I dare not mention it. I hesitated and missed an opportunity. Since I missed my chance I'm now presented the unfortunate choice of having to pay an inflated price for a M1A/PTR-91 or purchase a bolt gun. The question is how inflated are the current prices? If there is no ban and only a mag restriction coming our way, then things may return to normal. On the other hand, if there is an assault/automatic weapons ban with more teeth than the 1994 ban, then I may consider current prices a bargain! I feel as though the measures coming out of the pit of Washington are going to sting us quite a bit, despite my best efforts to write/call legislatures and convert lib friends and colleagues. To punishers point...we won't know if the pricing is gouging until the dust settles in the negotiations in Washington. If things return to "normal" I look like a dick for asking $ 1200 dollars for a mini and I'll feel some buyers remorse if I go and drop $ 2800 on a loaded M1A. However, if the measures are as draconian as I believe they might be, I'll likely regret letting the mini go and not paying what ever I had to to get the automatic .308. My current thought is - let one mini go (at an inflated value) and purchase a bolt gun (which is still reasonably priced) and some ammo - hopefully no real feelings of regret come August or when ever they get around to passing what ever crap they come up with in Washington.

Action is simple...if you feel the upcoming legislation is going to have little to no effect DO NOT BUY for now or simply boycott the insanity, things should return to normal soon. However, if you believe the legislation will hurt you chances to round out your armory, then buy all means buy at the best price you can negotiate and do it quickly.

As far as ammo is concerned I think in the sort term we are screwed. Those who have stocked up can wait it out. Those who want to stock up now can't because of price and limited quantities. I fall somewhere in the middle, I really wish I had some .308...

Just my long winded .02

Finally, why would anyone buy from Cheaper than dog dirt? They have been ripping us off for quite a while.
By hayes1966
In truth, people have had four years warning that this fight was coming. If you choose not to prepare for that day and now find that the prices have gone up .. well too bad. You should have planned better.

You still have a choice - buy or don't buy.

Cheaper Than Dirt threw the shooting community under the bus - there is a difference.
By newguy
I have to Agree what Cheaper then Dirt did was dirty pool. Sorta like the gas stations raising there prices in a emergency or storm 10 to 20 cents a gallon
By punisher
So theres a double standard. Its okay for us to do it and not them.

No way around it. Gouging is gouging.
Supply and demand.
Thats why i dont boycott nobody, too many double standards.
If you dont like the gas prices or Cheaper Than Dirts prices just dont buy.
Right.
By punisher
If im wrong please school me.
By newguy
I think on here it the law of averages. I have taken a hit for 50 to 100 dollars on a item I have sold here. I have also got deals were a saved 50 to 100 dollars on a item. Pretty much I figure I have broken even. That why i rather buy from folks on here.
By hayes1966
punisher wrote:So theres a double standard. Its okay for us to do it and not them.

No way around it. Gouging is gouging.
Supply and demand.
Thats why i dont boycott nobody, too many double standards.
If you dont like the gas prices or Cheaper Than Dirts prices just dont buy.
Right.
Well look at it this way, there is a storm coming and everyone is standing in line to buy a generator. Your neighbor bought two, now because you spent the summer at the beach is he supposed to sell you his spare one? Its not like you didn't know about the storm.

It is a matter of supply and demand, there are very few out there!
By ketel1
Any other way of looking at it from a local shop stand point ... If i have to make rent next month and i cant get delivery dates from a distributors on restock i have no choice but to try to get the most money for certain items... AM i looking at it wrong? Now granted there is a right and a wrong price. If you gonna bend me over at least give my a reach around if you catch my drift.
By Woody
Happens all the time, everywhere in our economy. Gas, Guns, stock market. Look at the housing bubble, millions of people panicked, thinking there would be no houses left, so they bought whatever was put In front of them. They paid tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the houses were worth. In Nevada there was a six month wait to get onto the waiting list for new developments. Now they are complaining about getting the value of their investment back. Suck it up, you paid twenty dollars per 2x4.
You have to ask yourself, do I want this gun or "a" gun. I paid about $1600 for my preban AR, I think that's a lot, but I'm a cheap bastard! I love the gun. Would I pay $2000 for it, nope! Not even if I thought I'd never get a chance at another. We all have a price. You havetodecide what yours is.
By JohnB
theres always going to be someone willing to take advantage of a disaster
By mu2bdriver
Who draws the line between reasonable profiteering and gouging? I don't get the impression that anyone here buys things with the expectation that they'll appreciate much in their ownership, but rather enjoy a new gun, and move on. If anything, I see more people buying stuff, shooting it for a few hundred rounds, selling it for $50-100 less, and moving on. Everything has a price and if I don't like it I move on.

Those who were 'at the beach,' which was so well put by hayes should write a letter to Blumbenthal, et al and complain that their anti-gun hysteria is costing them an unreasonable amount of money.

I used to tell people that under this Administration you could either eat, drive, or stay warm, but could only pick two. Now I'll have to add defend yourself to the choices.
By CTSixshot
punisher:
Come see me, I still work for free!
By hayes1966
JohnB wrote:theres always going to be someone willing to take advantage of a disaster
This is an example of someone taking advantage of a disaster

http://www.japantoday.com/category/worl ... con-donors

Having to pay extra for a ar15 now at the same time that everyone else is the country is scrambling to buy the same thing is going to drive prices up. That is simple economics .. get used to it!

A lack on planning on your part ....
By KenT
Tactical Innovations 25 rd mags for 10/22 were $14.99 a couple weeks ago(the cheap ones). Now up to $40. 10/22 will be classified as 'assault rifles'? LOL...
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!