Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By KenT
In considering a 22 rifle, if broken in properly, does a used rifle sometimes perform better than a new one? i.e. trigger smoother etc. If specific example is needed, I guess use the 10/22.

Thanks!
By PaiN
KenT wrote:In considering a 22 rifle, if broken in properly, does a used rifle sometimes perform better than a new one? i.e. trigger smoother etc. If specific example is needed, I guess use the 10/22.

Thanks!
Sometimes getting used is better.....Especially if you know your buying a functional and/or well cared for gun. Not to mention the savings.
By SR9
I agree. Most of my hand guns and rifles are used and they were all had for good prices and have functioned as good as new. Several I have bought used from guys on this forum and with that came the pedigree which is really great info.

Look over the for sale section here and the comments about the sales at the top. I would not hesitate to buy from most members here.

Buying used can be a real dollar saver if one takes the time to research the potential purchase and know the going prices.

Seriously, unless you really want new don't write off used.
By newguy
I have to say to 10/22's are built like tanks. So buying one used I wouldn't see a issue with it.
By mu2bdriver
And if you're buying from someone on here or one of the 'other' 2 boards, I've never had a problem with anyone misrepresenting the condition of what they were selling. People around here are very meticulous about what they have. I consider the dollar savings to be worth more than the 'broken in' condition.
By hayes1966
If you are unsure of what to look then for ask for pictures ahead of time or bring a friend with you.
By KenT
specific to 10/22s...

"The main reason to buy used instead of new is the better fit and finish of the older ones, compared to the new ones. Also, a couple of years ago (exact year escapes me) Ruger, in their infinite wisdom, switched from an aluminum trigger group housing to a lastic (polymer for you Glock and XD fans) trigger group housing. The finish also went from a blued barrel and anodized reviever to a painted(?) barrel and crinkle paint finished reciever. THe plastci trigger housing is said (by some experts with vastly more knowledge on th topic than I) to flex more than the aluminum housing, thus increaqsing the lower limit of pull that a competent gunny will attempt to achieve. "

found at http://www.spokaneguntrader.com/viewtop ... =28&t=4081

I dont knock used at all. I own a used Taurus 9mm and love it! Its always worked flawlessly. On the other hand, I bought new 22 S&W (pistol) years ago and broke within a month.

Anyway, was mostly wondering if used performed BETTER than new sometimes via the 'broken in' effect. But it was reassuring to see the statement that 10/22s are tanks also. Im more inclined to keep look for a preban still I guess, considering parts made with were better and the whole preban thing of course, I have only to gain from it. Now if someone wil just SELL ME ONE at a reasonable price 8O
By 67malibu
SR9 wrote:
. I would not hesitate to buy from most members here.

Seriously, unless you really want new don't write off used.

Totally agree 100% I have bought a few here or have been pointed in the right direction for multiple purchases lately.

hell I recently picked up a M&P.22 with a bunch of extra mags cheap.
shoots like a dream
By GreggAndrews
A pre-loved gun means that it at least works, and runs OK.

Regardless of what some want to think, there are very, very few of us in the world who will put enough miles on a gun to hurt it. A used gun is going to be fine. :lol:
By Sebring_Pop
I have always bought used guns and what I look at the most is how is it cosmetically. I have always stuck with a good brand because if anything is wrong mechanical they will back it up. Over the years I have run into small problems with Smith's, Colts Remington and Winchester and they stood behind everyone.
One was a Smith 41 that I use in bullseye shooting. I put over 50,000 rounds thru it (no idea how many before me) and the sear went bad. Smith back it up with no question.

Just my $.02

Pop
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!