Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By 67malibu
went out today to try hitting targets again with the M&P :x

I am beginning to think this pistol and I are not going to be friends anytime soon. i simply cant hit shi* with this consistantly . there were a few members at the club today so they fired it and liked the pistol, they of course hit everything they aimed at.

I try with my lcr and i do very well . switch to the .45 and I kill the backstop over and over.

WTF.
By JohnFH
Go back to basics.

Slow down, focus on the front sight, focus on the front sight, focus on the front sight.
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:Go back to basics.

Slow down, focus on the front sight, focus on the front sight, focus on the front sight.
I agree.

A friend was with me and was having a lot of difficulty hitting anything. I tried his gun and had no problems. I told him the same thing, focus on the front sight. A short time later he came to my port and said he was doing much better.
By CTSixshot
You are lacking magic bullets, such as JohnFH and I reload...
By newguy
Ahh ya mean like the JFK bullets the ones ya shoot that are able to take a 90 degree turn :lol:
By jerryd
When i got my 1st 45 in the Army in 67 could not hit SQUAT!!!!! then the 1st shirt showed me how to aim and presto started to get groups, that was 44 years ago and have been carrying them since! Matter of fact its my duty weapon. My wife carries a kimber ultra 45 . Just practice and you will come around.
By 67malibu
magic bullets ? hell that sounds great my luck they would do a 360 and hit me in the ass. :)

it has just been frustrating as hell. I have more rounds so I'll keep on feeding ammo.. and maybe I'll go back to paper so I can see all the shots rather then miss the plates and just see dirt fly.

Thanks
By PaiN
I was just having this conversation today....I do believe there are certain guns that don't work with certain people.
For me, pistols like the XDm and now the FNS....require complete focused concentration to make decent groups or hits, where as with Glocks, M&Ps, SR's shooting is much more natural and I can hit POA without without much thought required.
By 67malibu
This is exactly what I'm concerned about.

my previous fullsized M&P 9mm and .40 I shot pretty decent much better with the 9 actually. .40 was decent and the .45 is killing me so far.

hopefully within time I can get something corrected and do better! cant imagine selling and getting another pistol AGAIN. :roll:

I should have just kept the 9mm.
By BigKahuna
Yeah, selling one to buy another would be a terrible thing to do. That's why you don't see others on this forum doing it...

I find that I sometimes have to concentrate on every step when firing a new-to-me weapon. Check my grip, sight picture, and so forth. After a few repetitions on different trips to the range, the new weapon feels comfortable to me. Then the groups get better. But that's just me—you may have to develop your own approach. Just my two cents.
By hayes1966
probably a bad gun, sell it to me.
By randolf
malibu im guessing you got wrong technique on few fundamentals

first is grip technique
if you can handle one type of gun properly but not another it only means your gripping in general are poor. this is the most important part to learn first there are lots of video in you tube but try watching competitive pro shooter like jerry miculek / todd jarred/ robert vogel, rob letham, sevigny and study how they handle the gun... grip, poise , stance etch.

grip strenght
exercise you hand the more strong your natural grip the less tense you trigger finger becomes. in effect less movement on your gun while you pull the trigger. when robert vogel trained me (current world production champ) displayed to me his 40% and it feels like my 100% grip strenght thats how he can keep a shooting splits of sub .10 sec while the best i can are in .23 sec. basically that man is capable to shoot 10 rds at 7 yrds on same target at 5 inch group within 1 sec.

cure recoil anticipation
this is purely psychological aspect on shooting.. it shows your inner chickeness
very noticeable when moving from smaller caliber to larger ... you loose sight along the process your sight is already off before you can finally click the bang.. try mixing dummy ammo when your live firing say 1 on each of mag with 9 other live rds .. the more your aware of the problem the faster you resolve it. keep tricking your self and when you finally dont care then certainly that recoil anticipation will be less or even gone.

sight alignment
well its sight alignment and you already know how its suppose to be the problem is how you can maintain it while you pull the trigger.

goodluck i hope this helps
By GreggAndrews
JohnFH wrote:Go back to basics.

That, the first time I picked up an M&P & shot it, I didn't do so hot. Come to think of it, I can't think of a time I picked up any gun cold & did well with it.

You will get accustomed to it though. The M&P45 is one of the first on my "Got my permit today & need to drain bank account" list.
By SR9
PaiN wrote:I was just having this conversation today....I do believe there are certain guns that don't work with certain people.
For me, pistols like the XDm and now the FNS....require complete focused concentration to make decent groups or hits, where as with Glocks, M&Ps, SR's shooting is much more natural and I can hit POA without without much thought required.
I agree. The last time I had several of my semi autos out at the same time I really saw the difference. I can shoot all of them decently but some really take a lot of focus and concentration.

Then I tried Messeleven's MK25 and wow, like is was built for me. :)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!