Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By nvisn
Socom wrote: I hear that there are places (State) That allow open carry, But unloaded! Is this TRUE ? If so, dam, thats just asking for it.
Socom, Connecticut is LEGALLY an open carry state IANAL and there are caveats to this however I have spent a whole day in and out of stores and running errands in Milford/Bridgeport open carrying with my G30 (not a small gun) and it was uneventful.

At night when I walk my dog (in Bridgeport) I open carry with my gun only concealed by darkness. I only do this because I want unrestricted access to it if I need to make an emergency draw. I don't live in the finest of neighborhoods and we have some less then well behaved dogs around here. One night a man in his car was parked on my street and saw my gun and called the police and sure enough a BPD officer responded; but to his credit he was extremely professional and simply asked me to keep my hands forward (I carry @ my 7 - lefty when I use my paddle holster) and just verified that I was a permit holder - then apologized for holding me up.

If you do your research you will see that CT DOES NOT specifically outlaw OC. Check out WWW.CCDL.US
By SR9
NVISN, good for you, if I was in the environment you are in I would do the same. Glad to hear that BPD, well at least that cop, knew the law.

Take care and be safe!
By Jason
nvisn wrote:
Socom wrote: I hear that there are places (State) That allow open carry, But unloaded! Is this TRUE ? If so, dam, thats just asking for it.
Socom, Connecticut is LEGALLY an open carry state IANAL and there are caveats to this however I have spent a whole day in and out of stores and running errands in Milford/Bridgeport open carrying with my G30 (not a small gun) and it was uneventful.

At night when I walk my dog (in Bridgeport) I open carry with my gun only concealed by darkness. I only do this because I want unrestricted access to it if I need to make an emergency draw. I don't live in the finest of neighborhoods and we have some less then well behaved dogs around here. One night a man in his car was parked on my street and saw my gun and called the police and sure enough a BPD officer responded; but to his credit he was extremely professional and simply asked me to keep my hands forward (I carry @ my 7 - lefty when I use my paddle holster) and just verified that I was a permit holder - then apologized for holding me up.

If you do your research you will see that CT DOES NOT specifically outlaw OC. Check out WWW.CCDL.US
Thanks for the post.

At some point the CT policy will likely be clarified after a legal challenge stemming from a valid permit holder OCing and having a less positive experience.

Any others OC? Anyone aware of permit holder OCing and having problems as a result?

I firmly believe that OC is a good thing. You can use a proper retention holster, carry a sidearm that you are better trained with (I'm not a small person and small guns don't fit me well), as well as the obvious display of an ability to not be a victim.
By PFI
(An open statement)

CCDL is not Giving out Legal Advise, and they are very clear about this.

Open carry at the risk of being Arrested is a very real possibility.

Yes, most agree that open carry is legal BUT that will not prevent you from a costly legal Battle and loss of your gun until the case is Dismissed in court after being arrested posting Bond, time off from work and sleepless nights.

One must ask is the risk worth the defiance of how our police are trained
on this Subject, not what the law reads

If you want to risk your time, Money and gun, then open carry

Ask 5 Police Officers and you will get 10 Different responses

Just one persons view on this matter and at least we can still talk about this----- openly LOL
By Trapper
I don't see an issue with open carry in a shop. Unrestricted draw as mentioned in a previous post would be my logic.
I could care less if the guy working there has a 45, mags and a knife on is belt.
I don't feel threatened by that at all.
I guess have other things to think about.
By Mike-Sid
PaiN wrote:I'm not saying where I saw this, its unimportant and I'm going to bring it up with the management.
What bugged me the most was that forward facing knife...I don't care if it is a gun shop or not, no customer or person should be subjected to such threat or the intimidation by such a thing. It is simply out of line and completely unnecessary in everyday life.
I think I saw a kid working at Hoffman’s with a tool belt on once. I could be wrong, but I did see the kid at one store! 8O
I always have a knife clipped in my pocket visible, but carry concealed. Maybe I'm just a little more red necked than you. :lol: :lol: I see no threat with a knife...especially when I have a gun. Seriously, I'm used to seeing guys with knifes in pocket or on belt with a sheath, looks more normal to me than a guy without one....again my red neck factor! :lol:
By CTSixshot
Mike-Sid:
I think I saw you at a cafe in Perry, Florida (Taylor County) years ago...
...pickup truck outside with a rifle in the window rack...baseball hat on while inside at the table... Can't say that I noticed the knife.
By Mike-Sid
CTSixshot wrote:Mike-Sid:
I think I saw you at a cafe in Perry, Florida (Taylor County) years ago...
...pickup truck outside with a rifle in the window rack...baseball hat on while inside at the table... Can't say that I noticed the knife.
I do ride with my shotgun in the gun rack of my F250 after a rainy day in the duck boat! I'm not going to let it rust in a gun case...you'd be supprised how fast salt water turns any bare spot on a gun to light rust! Action is open and unloaded of course. :lol: Unless you fly and quack...your safe around me! :twisted:
By JohnB
quack
im the same..conceal carry pistol but open carry a legal lenght knife
By Sebring_Pop
JohnB wrote:quack
im the same..conceal carry pistol but open carry a legal lenght knife
Now that you said that, what is a legal length knife ???
By JohnB
less than 4" blade fixed or folder..unless your hunting or fishing
By JohnB
talking about knives..as strongly as we feel about guns..theres people who feel the same way about our right to carry knives
again..one more of our freedoms being erroded..look at england as yet another example.. no locking blades and no blades over 2.5". you cant carry a locking leatherman there, maybe the kid carrying all the crap pain mentioned (not that i condone it) is doing it to prove a point ? who knows

check out..
http://kniferights.org/
By Trapper
Excellent points!
I'm tired of being made to feel like I'm doing something wrong. If I want a knife clip sticking out of my pocket or a sheath on my belt then that's what I'm gonna do. Because we worry about what other people might think, we perpetuate this fear of anything gun/knife/hunting related.
Why is it wrong to have a rifle in the back window of a pickup now??? It wasn't in the past and I don't see a problem with it now. If someone thinks I'm a redneck, so be it. I could care less what they think if that's the case as they are pretty narrow minded.
It goes on and on. I actually had a guy once (in the cover of darkness) close my garage door because I had a deer hanging. I told who I suspected that he or whoever had done it was trespassing and I'll pretty much hang deer wherever I want.
We should not be ashamed of our lifestyle or any legal activity. To many wimps and PW guys out there.
IMHO, the people who have an issue as petty as this are the ones who live in fear and I don't know what else...I just can't understand being offended cause a kid in a Gun Shop had a pistol and some crap on his belt.
Sounds like something a liberal would say.
By CTSixshot
If you are thinking I object to rifles in your p/u's window rack, that wasn't the meaning of my post. Personally, I wouldn't mind if you were walking down Main Street with it slung over your shoulder...
...It's just seemingly a bygone era in America, that's all (wrongly or rightly).
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!