Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By BigKahuna
I'm trying to figure out if a Ruger Mini-14 model 5848 with a 5-round removable magazine is legal to buy in Connecticut? The rifle is stock from the factory and has a flash suppressor on it.

Does the suppressor make it illegal in Connecticut, or can it be considered as a muzzle brake???

Totally confused!!

Thanks for any and all help.
By nvisn
Illegal w/o a permanent brake or bare, threaded muzzle.
By BigKahuna
Thanks for the quick reply.

Can the suppressor be easily removed and just leave the bare threads?

As you can tell, I really want to buy it!
By nvisn
No it has to be non-threaded
By BigKahuna
I got this from the CT Gun Talk forum, which has some fairly knowledgeable moderators and users:

Did you happen to tell/inform the FFL's you spoke with that with PA 13-3 (and PA 13-220) the threaded barrel is no longer one of the "evil" features?

PA 13-3: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/ACT/PA/2013P ... 160-PA.htm

PA 13-220: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/ACT/PA/2013P ... 094-PA.htm

It looks like a “bare” threaded barrel is currently legal. Another reader posted that he found a screw-on compensator at Hoffman’s for $10
By nvisn
I stand corrected. It looks like as long as there is no flash hider you are good to go! I didn't realize the threaded barrel was dropped.
By Badger549
Unlike rifles, in pistols, looks like their lumping center fire and rim fire together.
Any-how, the link info still makes my rim fire P22 plinker an "evil" gun, :roll: sheesh!
By nvisn
Upon further reading 13-220 did in fact re-address the threaded muzzle.
By Badger549
Looking at it a little more I think you may be right a P22 may be fine.
Cause need to purchase a separate thread adapter to go on the barrel before an "item" can be attached. It is painful reading....lol
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!