Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By Ngneer2111
So now the big question..

I've got Aliant Unique powder. I'm having trouble finding load data for the 100 grain plated bullets for both .380auto and 9mm.

Any suggestions on where to look or load sizes???

Getting excited!!!! Almost ready for my first loads!!!
By newguy
If they are berry bullets. There website suggests you load midrange FMJ load data
By CTSixshot
Ngneer2111 wrote:So now the big question..

I've got Aliant Unique powder. I'm having trouble finding load data for the 100 grain plated bullets for both .380auto and 9mm.

Any suggestions on where to look or load sizes???

Getting excited!!!! Almost ready for my first loads!!!
Oftentimes you never find data for a specific bullet. You'll have to figure the closest match and enter the grey area.
Usually a lighter bullet gets more powder, so if you find data for a 115gr cast or plated bullet, use the middle charge as a starting point for your 100 grainer. Seat the bullet incrementally until there's no interference when you do the drop-in chamber check (you'll need to take the flare out for chamber testing). Seat about .010" beyond interference and record this as your COL for this bullet combination.
Go test fire a few to see if they function properly. Repeat until you get a working load.
Sometimes obscure bullets require a little fudging. Measure other similar bullets and seat to the same base depth that the known bullet seats to. If the COL functions, you'll be pretty close.
If this sounds too much like guesswork, buy bullets that are listed in your load manuals and stick to published data.
By CTSixshot
I'll have to remember to pull out my Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, as well as some other older load manuals and see if they list anything. Be advised, even if they do list a 100 grain cast/plated bullet, you still don't know 100% if it's the same bullet that you have.
By SR9
I have SNS cast in 9mm and 124gr and I started with 4.0gr of unique with the bullet seated at 1.125.

I ended up with 4.4gr and 1080fps for a final load.

Hope this helps.
By CTSixshot
Very little load data regarding plated or cast bullets of 100gr. I did find this in Hornady's 3rd Edition, 1982 printing:
380 Auto: 100gr FMJ #3552 at .980" 3.4gr to 4.4gr Unique
By Ngneer2111
My bullets shipped on wednesday, should be here any day.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!